Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Barbell rows vs 1 arm DB rows

anthrax

MVP
EF VIP
Which one do you prefer and why?

Atm I only do BB rows, feel that it works the back as a unit better and that I can lift slightly heavier weights.
Although I can see the advantages of DB rows to help keep imbalances to a minimum, will prob switch it up to them if I notice any problems!

I've just started doing 1 arm db rows again after sticking w/ bb rows exclusively for about a year. Feels great. I agree with the above posters: mix it up.

Dumb bell rows.

I prefer and use dumbell rows as it tends to isolate the back, without too much interferance from the biceps and lower back.
Although the barbell will allow me to lift alot more, the weight is shared with other body parts such as the biceps to a significant degree. On the other hand a proper dumbell lift using the shoulders as a focus will exclude the use of the biceps to a significant degree and allow me to feel intense pain in the back/lat area. (How i love it).

Furthermore I work my lowerback heavy with my deadlifts and stiff leg dead lifts anyway. The dumbell row kicks butt.

As for the best exercise to improve the back, I have to say that it is weighted chin ups as it is a nasty and painful (wonderful) workout. It seems to recruit the whole back much more so than some silly lat pull down machine.

i do one arm rows and barbell rows every workout....

a typical back workout for me

Barbell rows
1 Arm Dumbell rows
Wide grip chins**
Seated Rows
Wide grip pulldowns**
Closer-grip V-Bar Pulldowns **
Deadlifts

** means i choose one of the three

i like to do both because i feel they work different areas of the back in different ways.

Top Bottom