Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Barbell Or Dumbbell Lunges- Has Any Tried Them???

yes i have, though it's a very awkward movement when you first start out. when you use a barbell instead of dumbells it's a little less awkward.

I do dumbell occasionally, but prefer to go heavy in a fixed position on a smith machine. I need the stabilization due to lower back problems. When I load it up, I know it's working.

i agree with pwr_machine. if ur gonna lunge with a bar use the smith machine. its a hard movement to get ur form down with. if your gonna use dumbells or a bar without the smith machine get ur form down first thing. for a good range of motion do one leg at a time with your lead foot elevated on a step-box. if you dont have one available when you come up on the top of the rep be sure to take backward steps not forward steps b/c with forward steps you will find urself in diff. positions with each rep. lunges are great when your cutting or getting rdy for a contest. any other time stick with squats,hacks and presses. those are the kings of the leg world.

lunges done correctly work the tear drop hard as well as your glutes. As a finishing movement I cant think of a better movement to finish off legs. I do dumbell only. The key is that in the decending phase you put the dumbells towards the leg pushing up, rather than keep the dumbells back. This places enormous emphasis on the front of the quads. Good luck.

I used to do DB lunges all the time. I think they produced good glute results. You have to be really careful with your form. I just started a new workout this week and I have added the lunges back in, after squats and SLDLs.

I plan on using DB Lunges after Front Squats to finish off my my quad work then do Stiff Leg Deadlifts for my hamstrings. I'm limited in what exercises I can do. I'm going to start training at home, shortly.

I used to do them. Did barbell at first then switched to dumbells for more balance, although they take more effort to control than the barbell. I quit doing them because I was already doing squats and they are rather close to the same movement. I might return to them soon though, and do squats, lunges, leg extensions.

punch said:
. The key is that in the decending phase you put the dumbells towards the leg pushing up, rather than keep the dumbells back. This places enormous emphasis on the front of the quads. Good luck.
sounds like a good tip, i'll try that tomorrow.

Top Bottom