Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bar Weight On Smith Machine

BrickGirl

When using a smith machine, The Bar has no weight due to the pulley's, But once you put weight on the bar, doesnt the bar weight then come into play, Since it is the same size as an Olympic bar, doesn't that make the smith machine bar weigh around 45lbs? Thanks! :)

Nope.....the weight of the bar itself is constant no matter what weight you put on it.

BrickGirl said:
When using a smith machine, The Bar has no weight due to the pulley's, But once you put weight on the bar, doesnt the bar weight then come into play, Since it is the same size as an Olympic bar, doesn't that make the smith machine bar weigh around 45lbs? Thanks! :)

So if on a smith machine, I place a 45lb plate on each side, and do flat bench with it, I am benching 90lbs, not 90lbs plus the bar? Thanks again! :)

If you have the same smith as my gym, there is a little sticker on the inside somewhere, it says in small print, "bar weight is 15 lbs." And yes, it does look like an olympic bar, but it's not. So you put on 45 on each side, you're really doing 115.

Brickgirl,
Thats right.....90lbs. But as DaveNY said look for that sticker which tells you the bar weight, or ask a PT if you cant see it. If the bar is perfectly balanced by the pulley then you should be able to move the bar to any height whilst unloaded, and it will stay where you put it. If it drops, then the bar has some weight.

BrickGirl said:
So if on a smith machine, I place a 45lb plate on each side, and do flat bench with it, I am benching 90lbs, not 90lbs plus the bar? Thanks again! :)

Rubber Band Counterweight

My Smith Machine uses 2 of those giant rubber bands that people use to strap things on cartop carriers as it's counterweight. If the bar is at ground level it is about 10 pounds. The weight increases as the bar is raised and the length of the bands decrease. It's kind of like benching with chains attached to the end of the bar. As the chain comes off the floor while benching the weight increases.

DaveNY said:
If you have the same smith as my gym, there is a little sticker on the inside somewhere, it says in small print, "bar weight is 15 lbs." And yes, it does look like an olympic bar, but it's not. So you put on 45 on each side, you're really doing 115.

(not trying to be a dick)

peace

From anythin that I have ever read the Smith Machine bars are usually weightless...

So a 45 lbs. plate on each side totals only 90 lbs... kinda sucks I guess...
:D:D

Top Bottom