Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bad knee

JeepMonkey

I have a quick question for you guys/gals. I had knee surgery back in 2000. Doc had to reattach the patellar tendon and clean out a ton of destroyed cartliage under my patella. Any who, the doc did a half ass job and I had some server muscle atrophy and have pain still. I know I need to get my flexibility back up, but what are some good exercises to get it going again? I need to get this poor leg caught up and back in shape, but try to have minimal pain while building it back up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

JM

deep squats with light weight?

not sure about you, but when my jumpers knee (petellar tendonitis) gets bad, deep squats make it feel better.

may be different for you though, since your knee is obviously in a lot worse shape than mine.

Myfault,

are you talking about ATF squats? I havn't tried it yet, but I will give it a shot. I havn't done squats in 12 years :) Should be fun. I know I need to do them for good thick legs, just been lazy since high school.

Thanks for the suggestion man.

JeepMonkey said:
Myfault,

are you talking about ATF squats? I havn't tried it yet, but I will give it a shot. I havn't done squats in 12 years :) Should be fun. I know I need to do them for good thick legs, just been lazy since high school.

Thanks for the suggestion man.
yes i was speaking of ATF squats....
for some reason they make my knee feel great. ATF squats along with icing my knee is my own little "quick fix" when it starts bothering me.

My osteopath reccomended full squats as a great rehabilitator for the knee.

Also, hot soaks in the tub and stretching - the thigh and hip and lower back, really help.

It's far too boring and time intensive for me to get into the stretching here, suffice to say that at least 15mins after your wourkout should be given to stretching, and you should be seeking to develop your flexibility just as you are your strength/cardio fitenss.

the quads and calves probbaly need a ton of flexibility work

the VMO, teardrop quad will need to get brought up in strength and size
deep lunges where the knee goes forward and stepups should help

EMS on it should help in the early stages

Thanks for the help everyone. I ice it a couple of times a week and soak it good in the tub about the same (feels so good). I will get to doing some ATF squats and some deep lunges and see how that goes. Form should be fun to play with, since I've always been one of those lazy guys with the legs :) I stopped and picked up some Yoga cards on my way home tonight. It's some beginner stuff, but should have some good stretching techniques I would guess. Should I just do my exercises with both legs and let it be? Or would it be beneficial to do anything extra for the gimped one?

K on it's way, I really appreciate the help.

do you still get swelling? why are you iceing it?

most knee pain and problems are from week quads. when you are working it out and trying to regain size and strength and pain gets very bad in the knee.

then just do static holds. this will allow you to stress the muscle without putting as much strain on the knee. cause some of the problem is probably biomachanical.

as the quad starts to tighten back up. U will probably find you have less pain.

so i would recomend light bending exercises. and finishing with static holds. either squating down and holding for a peroid of time. or doing a leg exstention and holding your leg straight. for a peroid of time.

good luck.

Extra_Strong said:
do you still get swelling? why are you iceing it?

most knee pain and problems are from week quads. when you are working it out and trying to regain size and strength and pain gets very bad in the knee.

then just do static holds. this will allow you to stress the muscle without putting as much strain on the knee. cause some of the problem is probably biomachanical.

as the quad starts to tighten back up. U will probably find you have less pain.

so i would recomend light bending exercises. and finishing with static holds. either squating down and holding for a peroid of time. or doing a leg exstention and holding your leg straight. for a peroid of time.

good luck.

It doesn't really swell up really, but the cold really seems to help soothe the pain. It's weird, it also could be that I've been doing it for so long that it's habbit as well. I'm not sure really.

I know for a fact that the quad is very weak. Hell they both are heh. I hope the pain does start to subside. You are probably right, I can't wait for it to stop hurting.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try those static exercises. I can do those at home, so that rocks.

Thanks man.

JM

Top Bottom