Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The average man/woman

Wheen I first started doing pullups recently, I couldn't even do 5 sets of 5, by the 5th, I need help. Now I can do 10 reps with 15lbs. attached to me. Pullups use muscles in a way that you really need to do pullups to get better at pullups. I can do a lot more pullups palms facing me then palms away, but that probably because I have to use a narrow bar and I can't get a nice wide grip to get my lats into it.

I think saying how much someone should be able to bench depends on a lot. If you are 180 and 5'7" you probably have a lot moroe muscle mass then someone 180 and 6'3". The shorter guy doing his bodyweight is easy, where for the taller guy its much harder. If someone has very lowbody fat, they will weigh less and doing their bodyweight is easier(same muscle mass, less weight). I don't think bodyweight for any amount of reps is representitive of anything really, too many factors. Now if you are doing competitions, then strength for bodyweight matters, as you will be in a higher/harder weight class.

Based off what I have observed in the last 25 years this is my guess on what the "average" 155-175lbs man can do "untrained":

bench press 135-155lbs
Barbell full squat 135lbs
barbell squat to parallel 135-155lbs
deadlift 155-205
full range pullup 1-3 reps
full range chinup 1-5 reps
below parallel dip Bodyweight only 1-7 reps
standing barbell press 75-100lbs
strict curl 60-75lbs
strict hanging straight leg raise to parallel 1-10
situps 25 nonstop

I'm probably even being generous on most of these.

Seriously, I think we lifters tend to over-estimate the strength of the average guy. The average guy is a weak fuck to be honest. The "average" lifter probably weighs 165-185lbs and has above average strength, but still nothing impressive.

If you can strict bench 250 or more, raw full squat 275 or more, deadlift 350 or more, then you are ALOT stronger than the average guy and have what I like to term "suplex or pile-driver strength" in comparison to the"average man". Lol...still nothing impressive to an accomplished lifter, but still ALOT stronger than the average guy or even average lifter.

Next time you're in the gym, take a look around. I mean really take a look at all the lifters. You'll probably be surprised to notice that most are not that strong, weigh less than 200lbs and have arms 16" or smaller on average. And these are guys that actually lift.

Think about it.

thats true GSM.. in fact you're being generous, I think most ppl in my gym are maybe 180 with 15" arms, if that.

anyone else have this thing where your perception of joe average is skewed as fuck? I mean I know that even joe-hockey guy strutting around like he's cock of the walk is only a soft 200 at 6'2", but it's weird how the bigger you get the bigger everyone else seems to get :p

Tweakle said:
thats true GSM.. in fact you're being generous, I think most ppl in my gym are maybe 180 with 15" arms, if that.

anyone else have this thing where your perception of joe average is skewed as fuck? I mean I know that even joe-hockey guy strutting around like he's cock of the walk is only a soft 200 at 6'2", but it's weird how the bigger you get the bigger everyone else seems to get :p

So true.

My buddy is a hockey player and hes a soft 215ish guy and everyone asks him if hes on juice. WTF??? Now he walks around like hes some meathead.
Im a lean 205 lbs and way stonger than him but I feel like hes stronger than me just becuase hes bigger.

strange shit.

lol in my gym for the past 2 years ive noticed that the average joe doesnt even bother doing chinups or anything that requires alot of effort plus for bench press ive seen noone near my strength when i started 2 years ago which is saying something about the current average man too much drinking and not enough excercise.

Top Bottom