Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Attempting DL max

mauric6943

Afternoon-

Starting to put together a training plan for the remainder of the year and decided to attempt max on DL (conventional style). Never attempted this before. Most weight lifted prior to this is 185lbs x 5.

31 - Male - 5'9" - 165lbs. Not a powerlifter or bodybuilder type, just trying to get strong(er). BP = 220lbs. Squat 315lbs (don't think I got parallel though)

For the DL attempt I warmed up with: 135 x 3 / 2sets - 155 x 3 - 185 x 1 / 2sets

Since I had never attempted a max before arbitrarily picked 200lbs. Successful. Moved to 210, 225, 240, 260. All successful. Stopped at 260lbs.

Here is my question, when attempting to max how many attempts (ideally) should you make? What I mean is, if I had tried 275lbs, that would have been my 6th max(?) effort and 11th set. Since this was my first time I'm happy with the results but next time would to get to the end result without six tries.

If you've never maxed on an exercise before, how do you determine and approx starting weight? What % of weight do you add assuming a successful lift?

TIA
maurice

I go for about 4-5 lifts at the most

since you got 260 next time I would go for

135x3 warmup, 185x3 warmup

225x1, 240x1, 255x1,270x1, 285x1 and if the 285 was easy then get one more set with 300x1

This is my usual routine for maxing on rack deadlifts (lowest setting) I have maxed on regular DL's in sometime but the routine would be similiar Just less weight. :

135X12
225X8
315X1
405X1
500X1
515X1
535X1
545X1

I do two light warm up sets for low reps then after that just start doing one rep sets. If your current best is 260 Id suggest a routine like this: (keep in mind everyone is different)

135X8
225X1
245X1
260-265X1

And then try and increase from there.I find that the closer I get to my max, the more it helps to go up in little 15-20lb increments, more for the mental aspect, feeling the weight, and continually convincing myself its only 15-20lbs more. Im no expert though JMO Hope that helps

3-5 sets over 90% of your max is your limit without killing yourself(cns). If you are getting more sets in make bigger jumps next time.

Thanks for the feedback.

I felt pretty warmed up by the time I started doing the one rep sets just think I started too low. Or should've taken larger jumps.

Based on recent responses, seems like having a total of 10+ sets isn't unusually. I'll know for next time.

Sidenote ---
Even though my thing isn't powerlifting, a post on t-mag said something about powerlifting classes (class 4, 3, elite, etc). I've looked up where I would fit, only need 75lbs more and I'll be class 4 (woo hoo), but not really sure how the classes fit in at powerlifting competitions. Just curious.

Thanks again for the info
maurice

Top Bottom