Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Athletes Training in the heat

LifeofaFighter

Here was a great question from an ISSA SnC assignment I did. Figured this would be the best place for it.

Describe the physiological adaptations that occur when an athletes trains for 2-weeks in the heat.

In the first week the body makes several adjustments that result in lower heart rate, core temperature , core temperature , and skin temperature when at rest and during submaximal exercise. What is also physiologically happening is increased peripheral conductance , increased plasma volume , increased sweating capacity , and a better distribution of sweat over the skin.

About 10 yrs ago I ran my sprint routine (80 sprints/agilities 5 different ways of running, 4 sets of 4 each) each Sunday for a month in 90+ degrees blazing sun, without drinking water until after. I wasn't able to measure all the different parameters as that study, only weight before and after. Weight loss was just over 6 lbs in about one and a half hours. That's about 3/4 gallon of sweat. Not something I would recommend to anyone but highly trained individuals, but nice to know you can do something like that. The cold water sure was awesome afterwards.

That seems like a rough set of sprints. What was your rest period like in between sets? What was the goal of not drinking water? Did you just want to observe your bodies response or just said screw the water lol

Rest between sets is enough time to have breathing get close to normal, about 2 mins. And did it to just do it really, haven't done it without drinking since. I still run them Sunday morning.

Rest between sets is enough time to have breathing get close to normal, about 2 mins. And did it to just do it really, haven't done it without drinking since. I still run them Sunday morning.

Thats awesome i am going to start adding sprints every weekend myself now to help get back into fight shape. I like increasing intervals weekly until I've reached 3 times the amount of time my fight/event will take.

This is what I do, and the why also. First find a nice flat stretch of grass. I'm currently running 50 yards because that's what I have to run on now. I've done 80 yards. Get rid of any hummocks or anything that might trip you up. No eating for at least 2 hrs prior and make sure you use the bathroom. No puking or embarrassing mistakes.

I spend about 10-15 minutes stretching before running. Quads, Hams and midsection.

I run regular running sprints first, fast as you can. You might want to start with 40 yards, even less if you find your speed dropping off. 4 sets of 4 sprints, you might want to start at 3 sets of 4 sprints. Make a pass, then walk about a 10 yards circle back to where you finished the first sprint, then hit it going back. 10 yard loop back to starting point and do it again. Like I already said, I walk loops for about 2 mins until my breathing is getting more normal, then go again. Just about when you think you can't take anymore, you're done with that kind of sprint. Get a small drink of water then start on karyokes (sideways right over left, then left over right) 4 sets of 4 ( or 3 of 4). You might want to only do 30 yards or so until you're used to it. Then sideways Scissor kicks, then Backwards, then when you're really getting tired, high kicking (like you're running through tires).

Now the why. This is a full body workout. Your heart and lungs are going to be put through it. You will be exercising all 4 of your energy transfer systems. When you hit it off the line, you're using available ATP. It'll run out during the first pass, and you'll transition to creatine - creatine phosphate to create ATP from ADP. About the end of the 2nd sprint, that will be done and you'll be using anaerobic respiration to produce ATP until the end of the set. Don't stop moving, keep pacing until the next set starts. While you're pacing, ATP will be made aerobically and you be recharging your other systems you just used so they are ready for the next set. By the end of the routine, most of your glycogen should be used up. Go ahead and eat well after. Your body should adapt to this and start storing more glycogen. This is going to make your endurance go up, and make you better and stronger athletically. I workout with weights pretty intensely. I have a sick ab routine. But when people ask me what my secret is, the sprints are it. It brings everything together. Your whole body has to work together to do them. I'm 54 by the way. Here's a couple of pics of the results of sprinting. BTW I've never taken any roids.
View attachment 137743View attachment 137753

This is what I do, and the why also. First find a nice flat stretch of grass. I'm currently running 50 yards because that's what I have to run on now. I've done 80 yards. Get rid of any hummocks or anything that might trip you up. No eating for at least 2 hrs prior and make sure you use the bathroom. No puking or embarrassing mistakes.

I spend about 10-15 minutes stretching before running. Quads, Hams and midsection.
View attachment 137743View attachment 137753

You stick with dynamic stretching like leg swings, hip steppers aka internal and external step overs, etc or more static stretching movements or a combination of both?

I personally always find dynamic stretching helpful for both activation and warming up and use static stretches once I am done.

I've been good with static stretching, about 20-30 seconds till "mild discomfort" (I heard that term somewhere and it fits). Do quads first, bending my knee and pulling my leg back as far as possible while standing. Then toe touches with feet together, then spread feet out and reach back between my legs. While in that position I'll do some twists with my arms out to the side. Finally I get my legs up high on a bar, one at a time, and lean into them. I haven't pulled a muscle in about, hmm a year and a half? Quads get pulled while accelerating in regular sprints. Hams when your getting it, trying to run faster than ever. Groin pulls are harder to predict when, I usually get a warning for those and back off.

I've been good with static stretching, about 20-30 seconds till "mild discomfort" (I heard that term somewhere and it fits). Do quads first, bending my knee and pulling my leg back as far as possible while standing. Then toe touches with feet together, then spread feet out and reach back between my legs. While in that position I'll do some twists with my arms out to the side. Finally I get my legs up high on a bar, one at a time, and lean into them. I haven't pulled a muscle in about, hmm a year and a half? Quads get pulled while accelerating in regular sprints. Hams when your getting it, trying to run faster than ever. Groin pulls are harder to predict when, I usually get a warning for those and back off.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I also have been starting a new 5x5 program to put some strength into my routines while sparring and getting these sprints in... 2016 is fight year for me and I cant wait. I will keep you posted on the sprints impact on conditioning and try doing the static stretching first and see how my body responds

Top Bottom