Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Arnold Perspective on Squats 1976

Elementality

So, If you read any of my previous posts in the last few days I'm in a dillema between bodybuilding vs power lifting. I kind of want a mix of both, but anyway, I found this article during my research and thought that maybe some people may be interested in reading this.

What stuck out to me the most <a lot of stuff stuck out to me like him recommending the smith machine over free barbell> was this line. "I do tension squats, going three-quarters of the way down and coming up to a position a quarter of the way form the top."

This is kinda reflecting on the idea about partial movement as opposed to full motion movement which I have been doing with a lot of barbell and dumbbell movements <keeping that pump and stress going throughout the entire set and never resting by locking out>

http://bodybuilding.home.insightbb.com/trainingarticles/arnoldsquat/index.htm

Elementality said:
So, If you read any of my previous posts in the last few days I'm in a dillema between bodybuilding vs power lifting. I kind of want a mix of both, but anyway, I found this article during my research and thought that maybe some people may be interested in reading this.

What stuck out to me the most <a lot of stuff stuck out to me like him recommending the smith machine over free barbell> was this line. "I do tension squats, going three-quarters of the way down and coming up to a position a quarter of the way form the top."

This is kinda reflecting on the idea about partial movement as opposed to full motion movement which I have been doing with a lot of barbell and dumbbell movements <keeping that pump and stress going throughout the entire set and never resting by locking out>

http://bodybuilding.home.insightbb.com/trainingarticles/arnoldsquat/index.htm

Interesting read.

NOw I was born in 1976 and I'm not sure if they had Hack Squat machines yet but I would think that would be the reason he used the smith machine to do squats the way he did.

There is nothing wrong with doing them that way today but there is also a whole host of machines that I don't believe were available back in Arnolds prime

5330.jpg

i'd stick to compound movements with machines every great once in awhile to mix it up in case your body gets familiar. dont replace a machine with a compound movement

Never do a workout that a professional body builder does. Many of their techniques are designed to peak out a muscle's shape. Doing some workouts in a different manner will cause one section of the muscle to grow uniquely. It makes for a good look while on stage competing.

These type of workouts will not help you build overall muscle and strength. Just focus on the basic compound lifts.

Elementality said:
The link with the picture there. Do you rec commend using that as a replacement for barbell squats?

No

I do 8 sets of squats
3 sets of hack squats (picture)
3 sets of leg presses
3 sets of leg extensions
5 sets of straight leg dead lift for hammy's
superset with 5 sets of leg curls (hammy's)

I would never replace squats

Remember bro, just because Arnold did not react well to squats does not mean you are going to have the same reaction... Also try front squats..

I myself will always squat unless god forbid I get an injury

drsketch said:
Remember bro, just because Arnold did not react well to squats does not mean you are going to have the same reaction... Also try front squats..

I myself will always squat unless god forbid I get an injury

Arnold never said he didn't react well to squats. He said that at a more advanced stage of his training he needed to specialize in various techniques in order to bring out the muscular shape he needed to win contests.

I believe what he said is true. If a person concentrates only on full squats, they end up with tree-trunk like legs without much shape and huge butts.

So, for a bodybuilder looking for decent strength, but mainly just good shape. Whats a good leg workout day look like?

Elementality said:
So, for a bodybuilder looking for decent strength, but mainly just good shape. Whats a good leg workout day look like?

front squats? Gaurdian swears by them and his quads are awesome.

Top Bottom