Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Arching your back while benching...

ChinkNasty

I was just wondering how many of yall arch your back to some degree (ie like PLers) when you bench...for those of you that don't do it, why?

CN

i do it and i try not to....because when i get to my failure rep i arch my back wayyyyyyy to much and it begins to hurt....now i bench with both feet on the bench

yea...I've heard that people who arch their backs minimize the distance they have to move the bar (which, if they grip the bar with the appropriate width, is true) and I've seen many powerlifters doing this and I agree with this point, but I've been lifting for a long time and have always been told/avoided arching my back...more recently I've heard that people who don't arch really hurt their cuffs and shoulders...I tried arching my back 2 days ago and put up 315x3...a PR for me but I'm wondering what yall think...

CN

I do a little arch when benching, trying to keep the movement as compound as I can. But anyway I am benching no more than 130 lbs, so, not a big deal ...

JeSt3r said:
i do it and i try not to....because when i get to my failure rep i arch my back wayyyyyyy to much and it begins to hurt....now i bench with both feet on the bench

you need your feet on the floor..try squeezing the bench with your thighs may help to keep ur ass on the bench!!!

I do it when I bench. I had to go to this style after my shoulder injury, and I wish that I had done it before. It makes a world of difference on my shoulder.

big4life said:
I do it when I bench. I had to go to this style after my shoulder injury, and I wish that I had done it before. It makes a world of difference on my shoulder.

yea I ask this question also because I've had this nagging, sharp pain in my right anterior deltoid for about 3 weeks now...real bitch...doesn't really ever hurt while I'm working out but when I'm finished I'm in a ton of pain...as for arching your back I think I'll give it a try for a couple weeks

thanks bros,
CN

ChinkNasty said:
yea I ask this question also because I've had this nagging, sharp pain in my right anterior deltoid for about 3 weeks now...real bitch...doesn't really ever hurt while I'm working out but when I'm finished I'm in a ton of pain...as for arching your back I think I'll give it a try for a couple weeks

thanks bros,
CN

Keeping my elbows tucked in like powerlifters do, and icing my shoulder right after the workout helps a ton. :)

yup, been trying to do it quite a bit, but i am getting into powerlifting, let me tell you trying to get and stay in a the position to do a bench properly for a powerlifting point of view isn't all that easy.

yo big4life, how far up does your back arch? it seems that when I arch, I get a minimal raise from my lower back/hips whereas I see other PLs in there really getting their lower back and hips off that bench. Also, that 'tucking' your elbows in suggestion...do you mean keeping the elbows close to my body (that is, closer to my body than my wrists)? I've tried to tuck and contract my lats but it just seems like I get weaker and weaker as I move that bar towards my chest (like it seems fine when I get that weight off but as I lower it I just feel like its about to crush me...)

CN

Top Bottom