Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

anyone have comments on rest pause training

maldorf

I just started rest pause training this week. I am doing a form of it where you use a weight that you can just complete 3 reps. You then do your first set, rest 1 minute and then do your next set with same weight, repeat this until you finish 10 reps. Once you can complete the 10 reps in 4 sets I will decrease the rest interval to 45 seconds the next lift, and then 30 sec, and then finally 15 secs. Once you complete the 10 reps in 3 sets using the 15 second intervals its time to increase the resistance. This would be the only set you do for that bodypart. I did it with squats and it was brutal! I am just wondering what kind of success people out there have had with this. This training is similar to what Dorian Yates and Mike Mentzer used.

I have found I respond well to low reps, but I am concerned about doing this too many weeks in a row. I am wondering if my joints and tendons will hold up!

i believe that in DC rest pause training (if i remember correctly), you would first get warmed up, and then you keep bumping up the weight till it's pretty high (i think approx 15RM). then, obviously you do 10 reps, then you catch your breath back (usually max 20 seconds) then your back at it again, do as many as you can without the spotter, then another rest pause to JUST get your breath back. then back again, till you've finished around 20 reps. i really don't remember the exact details but i think you get the idea about the kind of rest we are talking about. but whats important is that you train each body part 2 times every 8 days so you have adequate rest. i'm not sure about how dorian and mentzer trained, but from what i've heard, DC training is effective.

silver_shadow said:
i believe that in DC rest pause training (if i remember correctly), you would first get warmed up, and then you keep bumping up the weight till it's pretty high (i think approx 15RM). then, obviously you do 10 reps, then you catch your breath back (usually max 20 seconds) then your back at it again, do as many as you can without the spotter, then another rest pause to JUST get your breath back. then back again, till you've finished around 20 reps. i really don't remember the exact details but i think you get the idea about the kind of rest we are talking about. but whats important is that you train each body part 2 times every 8 days so you have adequate rest. i'm not sure about how dorian and mentzer trained, but from what i've heard, DC training is effective.

Im training each bodypart a little less than 2x per week, so rest should be sufficient. I guess Mentzer used to use his 1 RM on each rep, taking 15 seconds between to rest. He would do this for a few reps, and then do some other things like dropping the weight and having his partner help him out. The way I am doing it now doesnt really require a partner ,but can be a little scarry when you are doing 475 lb squats for 2 reps or so with little rest. Rest starts out at 1 min the first week so that you can adapt to this new training, I found it hard to train even with 1 minute rest. I was used to taking about 5 mintues rest inbetween sets so heavy as 3 rep sets. So far I am surprised at how I am healing up, seems to be going ok. I will have to see what happens in week 2.

the way I always rest/paused was

4-6 reps was first "set", then wait 20 seconds, hit it again (usually resulting in 3-4 reps), then wait 20 seconds, hit it again (usually 1 or 2 reps), then rest 20 seconds, hit it again (usually just a single)

usually around 10-12 reps total in the set. worked nicely for strength gains for a short period of time, but was brutal on recovery overall.

kethnaab said:
the way I always rest/paused was

4-6 reps was first "set", then wait 20 seconds, hit it again (usually resulting in 3-4 reps), then wait 20 seconds, hit it again (usually 1 or 2 reps), then rest 20 seconds, hit it again (usually just a single)

usually around 10-12 reps total in the set. worked nicely for strength gains for a short period of time, but was brutal on recovery overall.

Yeah, i really think it is going to be brutal on recovery. The workout I am following wants you to do this for about 6-8 weeks straight, as I described earlier. In the first week my tendons and joints are already sore now.

maldorf said:
I just started rest pause training this week. I am doing a form of it where you use a weight that you can just complete 3 reps. You then do your first set, rest 1 minute and then do your next set with same weight, repeat this until you finish 10 reps. Once you can complete the 10 reps in 4 sets I will decrease the rest interval to 45 seconds the next lift, and then 30 sec, and then finally 15 secs. Once you complete the 10 reps in 3 sets using the 15 second intervals its time to increase the resistance. This would be the only set you do for that bodypart. I did it with squats and it was brutal! I am just wondering what kind of success people out there have had with this. This training is similar to what Dorian Yates and Mike Mentzer used.

I have found I respond well to low reps, but I am concerned about doing this too many weeks in a row. I am wondering if my joints and tendons will hold up!

the method you outline is similar to Mike Mahler's method. The only thing is your explanation does not have any workouts that are not all out efforts.

Mahler"
Here is how it is done. Take your three-rep max on a given exercise. For example, lets say that your three rep max on barbell squats is 315lbs. Do five rest pause reps with 315bs on barbell squats with one minute breaks in between each rep. Do one rep with 315lbs., rack the weight and wait a minute before doing the next rep and so forth. It goes without saying that you should do exercises such as barbell squats and bench presses in a squat rack if you are training alone. Once you can do five singles with 315lbs. with one minute breaks, add another rest pause rep to the workout for a total of six rest pause reps. Work your way up to a total of ten rest pause reps. At that point decrease the rest periods to forty-five seconds per set. Once you can complete ten singles at forty five second intervals, go to thirty seconds. Keep dropping the rest periods until you can do all ten reps with ten second breaks. Once you can do that, increase the training weight by 10lbs. and start back at five rest pause reps and one minute breaks. Work your way up the ladder again before increasing the weight by another ten lbs. Eventually you will get to a point in which 10lb. increases are not possible. No problem, just increase the training load by five pounds or stay at ten rest pause reps with a given weight for two to three workouts to allow your mind and body to adapt. "

is this what your doing?

workout 1 - u do five reps and then add a rep at each workout.at several workouts you will be not be training at the limit. which is so important for the strength and size gains.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/328/

Numani said:
the method you outline is similar to Mike Mahler's method. The only thing is your explanation does not have any workouts that are not all out efforts.

Mahler"
Here is how it is done. Take your three-rep max on a given exercise. For example, lets say that your three rep max on barbell squats is 315lbs. Do five rest pause reps with 315bs on barbell squats with one minute breaks in between each rep. Do one rep with 315lbs., rack the weight and wait a minute before doing the next rep and so forth. It goes without saying that you should do exercises such as barbell squats and bench presses in a squat rack if you are training alone. Once you can do five singles with 315lbs. with one minute breaks, add another rest pause rep to the workout for a total of six rest pause reps. Work your way up to a total of ten rest pause reps. At that point decrease the rest periods to forty-five seconds per set. Once you can complete ten singles at forty five second intervals, go to thirty seconds. Keep dropping the rest periods until you can do all ten reps with ten second breaks. Once you can do that, increase the training weight by 10lbs. and start back at five rest pause reps and one minute breaks. Work your way up the ladder again before increasing the weight by another ten lbs. Eventually you will get to a point in which 10lb. increases are not possible. No problem, just increase the training load by five pounds or stay at ten rest pause reps with a given weight for two to three workouts to allow your mind and body to adapt. "

is this what your doing?

workout 1 - u do five reps and then add a rep at each workout.at several workouts you will be not be training at the limit. which is so important for the strength and size gains.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/328/

Yeah, that is the workout I was following, but a bit modified. The one I read, also by Mahler, had you start out doing 10 reps total. I like here where you start out only with 5 and work up. I decided after reading another person's plan for restpause to follow his advice and each rest pause to failure until you hit 10. This probably wasnt a good idea! Just the first week has taught me that. All of this doenst matter to me now though, after reading Madcow's post on the 5x5 I think it makes much more sense. My plan is to use the 5x5 and after finishing the 5x5 when I am doing a more conventional bodybuilding routine throw in some rest-pause training for a week and no more, just to shock my system some.

ive used rest pause before and enjoyed it. lets say i was hitting incline bench. id pick a weight i could lift for 6 to 7 reps. so when i failed on rep 6, id rack it, wait 10 seconds, get a 7th rep, rest 10 secs, get an 8th rep..so on until i completed 10 reps. that 10th rep was a beast. i only used this method every couple of weeks per bodypart cuz it takes quite a toll on the CNS. so definitely incorporate this method into your routine, but be careful on the frequency in which you use it. good luck and keep us posted! cheers

Top Bottom