Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone ever use the cable row machine to work hamstrings?

Heahy Minister

When I first started working out and didn't really have my form down right, whenever I did cable rows my hams were super sore the next day.

I decided to try it out again yesterday since I was working legs. You basically use the cable row machine to do a "seated stiff/straight leg deadlift". It's a lot easier on the back as opposed to doing normal sldl which is why I decided to do it.

Anyone ever try this?

I think it's hitting your lower back more than your legs (as it's suppose to). I can't imagine how you would slide your buttocks up and down the bench. Can you draw a picture?

Also, if you are doing it like a straight leg deadlift, don't straightleg deadlifts not really work your legs as much as a conventional deadlift?

Hey Mister said:
When I first started working out and didn't really have my form down right, whenever I did cable rows my hams were super sore the next day.

I decided to try it out again yesterday since I was working legs. You basically use the cable row machine to do a "seated stiff/straight leg deadlift". It's a lot easier on the back as opposed to doing normal sldl which is why I decided to do it.

Anyone ever try this?

very similar to a pullthrough

Synpax said:
I think it's hitting your lower back more than your legs (as it's suppose to). I can't imagine how you would slide your buttocks up and down the bench. Can you draw a picture?

Also, if you are doing it like a straight leg deadlift, don't straightleg deadlifts not really work your legs as much as a conventional deadlift?

Sorry don't know how to draw a pic on here, but it is actually very good at hitting hams.

It's basically doing a stiff/straight legged dead, but in a seated position. It will hit your back of course, but by the use of a cable, being seated and the fact that the weight is not going downward but forward makes it a bit less straining on the back. The difference is that you don't pull your arms towards your body as in a cable row, but instead leave them straight. You have to really focus on your hams pulling through. I recommend this b/c there aren't too many hamstring exercises.

Straight/stiff legged deads emphasize hamstring work more, whereas conventional dead hits everything somewhat equally.

RJL296: What is a pullthrough?

Top Bottom