Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

anybody made the jump...

gimp

Been doing a mostly body building type workout/diet/training/cycles..etc, for the last five years. but, more into BJJ and Boxing. Anybody made the jump from bodybuilding to fighting??? what changed in your training/workout/diet/cycles..etc??? did you lose size? or maintain a great deal of it?? how'd you do it?

i just went from doing research about bodybuilding routines to routines that athletes and fighters use.

i started doing olympic lifts and they helped tremendously

i started doing HIGH rep circuit training and that really helped my endurance

those are the two best things for fighters to do in the gym IMO

then sprint work

i got stronger but lighter and my endurance and explosiveness skyrocketed!!! it really changed how effective i could be w/ my strength. before then i was always strong but it didnt help as much as i wouldve liked.

if you got more questions please post up

cool. How much mass did you lose? and any web sites you can refer me to, or example of routines you suggest/use. at present I do do high rep routines, well, alot higher than most BB's...rarely go under 12 reps. warm ups are in the 20-25 rep range.

i lost fat not muscle. i just stopped gaining size and just got stronger, faster and stronger w/ the same amount of muscle ... or just trained so that i could use the muscles better when fighting.. whatever one way or the other i got better.

my circuit routine is like this.. pick a compound exercise, i prefer machines for THIS, take rows. start with a weight that you can rep out 30-40 reps do that and then rest 10 secs and repeat for as many reps as you can (20-30) then rest 10 secs and do it again (10-20) then move onto another exercise and repeat.

look up olympic lifts. perform them w/ dumbells if you dont have someone to train you in the lifts or make your own 'stuff' to lift

look up 'tabata' that is doing 20 secs work / 10 sec rest = 1 cycle and you do 8 cycles rest a min, switch exercises and repeat. so you can do 4 mins of squats, 4 mins of abs, 4 mins of pullups, 4 mins of dips.. if you can do that you will be ready to tear heads off on the mat

you need to have an open mind when researching and adding in these new strategies into your workout. dont stick to teh bb' routine just because thats what everyone else in the gym is doing.

This is very interesting. I was wondering how you guys trained.

Did you adjust your diet for this?

Do you train your entire body everyday (circuit), or upper body one day. lower the next. How many times a week?

Should you be near failure at the end of the reps?

'Tabata' sounds neat. I notice a guy at my gym does this. He is a great rock climber. I'm going to have to try this :)

Judo Tom said:
i lost fat not muscle. i just stopped gaining size and just got stronger, faster and stronger w/ the same amount of muscle ... or just trained so that i could use the muscles better when fighting.. whatever one way or the other i got better.

my circuit routine is like this.. pick a compound exercise, i prefer machines for THIS, take rows. start with a weight that you can rep out 30-40 reps do that and then rest 10 secs and repeat for as many reps as you can (20-30) then rest 10 secs and do it again (10-20) then move onto another exercise and repeat.

look up olympic lifts. perform them w/ dumbells if you dont have someone to train you in the lifts or make your own 'stuff' to lift

look up 'tabata' that is doing 20 secs work / 10 sec rest = 1 cycle and you do 8 cycles rest a min, switch exercises and repeat. so you can do 4 mins of squats, 4 mins of abs, 4 mins of pullups, 4 mins of dips.. if you can do that you will be ready to tear heads off on the mat

you need to have an open mind when researching and adding in these new strategies into your workout. dont stick to teh bb' routine just because thats what everyone else in the gym is doing.

I changed my routine ABIT , catered towards more powerlifting type excersises and rep/sets and more core and plyometric work.

yeah i ate MORE especially PRE and POST workout. feed your body and dont worry about weight for a bit. let your body adjust but stay well hydrated, well nourished and get as much sleep as possible.

whenever i do the circuit thing on the machines i generally train my whole body. sometimes i do a push / pull circuit or upper / lower body split but generally i will just do my entire body (chest press, row, leg press, military press, ham string curls)

yes at the end of each set of each exercise you should be near failure. the 10 sec rest should just allow SOME but not all or even a lot of recovery the last set i generally go right to failure or 1 rep before

tabata's and sprint work or HIIT or whatever you want to call it will give you that crazy fighters endurance. there are other ways im sure but long grueling cardio sessions do not even come close to being as effective as these methods. trust me i always had good to great endurance and it was all from just long cardio or from the actual judo training. once i got off my but and started doing sprints / HIIT my endurance swtiched from great to freaky. and it really doesnt take long to notice DRASTIC improvements.

please give it a try. if you need help or ideas let me know or post up what you are thinking about doing.

good luck

skittles said:
This is very interesting. I was wondering how you guys trained.

Did you adjust your diet for this?

Do you train your entire body everyday (circuit), or upper body one day. lower the next. How many times a week?

Should you be near failure at the end of the reps?

'Tabata' sounds neat. I notice a guy at my gym does this. He is a great rock climber. I'm going to have to try this :)

Top Bottom