Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anybody do and shoulder presses ??

rjl296

I don't see many westside splits with shoulder presses in them. does anybody do them, or anything for front delts (besides plate raises) I am benching raw at the moment, and I figure it might be important to do some front delt work, as I am not currently doing any . Anybody agree or disagree ??:confused:

its all about what your weakness is. lately i have been hitting the shoulders alot. on bench days i am doing some shoulder presses as well as upright rows, raises of all kinda with DB's and BB's.
and on other days for extra work i use a mini band and do raises, and external rotations, this is also part of my warm up for benching days.

Shoulder presses would be fine to do, especially for a raw bencher. Just rotate them in as one of your shoulder exercises.

I think the Westside program neglects shoulder too much. But some of the guys will do shoulders in extra workouts and such. I just spent 10 months doing very little delt work, but plan on focusing more on it in preparation for my next contest. I will have to see how it works out.

I agree 100%. Metal Militia guys do alot of shoulder presses, but they never do them lower than eye level. It just put stoo much strain on your shoulder joints and over rotates them, way beyond the rotation in a bench.

So do them, but don't bring them to your clavical or anything.

AnimalMass

I follow westside also and i do feel my shoulders are going to become a weak link if I don't begin adding some heavy presses. Especially after seeing the heavy shoulder work the Metal Militia guy do... So i I plan on adding them in during an extra workout once a weak, and up the volume of my rotator work on my Bench day..I usually do like 3 sets of dumbell cleans, so I'll probably go up to 5.

I definitly have noticed that the lower on my abs I bring the bar the more shoulder recruitment I see...

how often should I do them and when . I noticed the MM guys did them in an extra workout. I was thinking of adding them every 2 weeks after ME bench

you can do shoulders every bench workout. just one exericise or so but do them. personally ive been doing about 3 shoulder exercises becuase thats my big weakness in upperbody. try just doing some shoulder presses on bench day for high reps (10-20) and every once in a while you can do overhead lockouts but not often, cuase they are hard on the joint.

on squat workouts you can always hit some plate raises

I do weighted dips 48 hrs after benching, and it's working great. My shoulders always felt burnt out when doing them in the same work out as the bench. Just added 1 arm db presses and inc. presses. I'll probably add the 1 arm db press on (narrow) bench day, and 1 arm inclined db presses on dip day.

I'd also like to add I'm getting strange looks strapping 70# onto my weight belt and doing dips. Anybody else go to a gym where you're the only one who does weighted dips? I talked to a guy that was anxious to hit the 300# bench; when I talked to him about weighted dips, he almost laughed and said,"I weigh 240#, I don't need to add any weight." I didn't have the heart to tell him how much I was dipping with.

Last edited:
I do a lot of shoulder pressing (my ME day is usually a 5x5 program of OHP) but we only do OHP's in contests.

B True

Top Bottom