Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Any advice for grip work, grip failed today during workout.

After setting new PRs on deads and stifflegged deads I tried to do a set of shrugs with 225 and could only hold onto the weight for 4 reps. Right now my split upper body 3 times a week, lower 2 times a week using the following lifts:
Upper
Decline dumbell presses
One arm dumbell rows
Incline dumbell presses
Seated dumbell presses
Standing dumbell curls
Decline skullcrushers
Reverse curls

Lower
Squats
Deadlifts
Stifflegged deadlifts
Shrugs
Ab work

I do one working set of each with Upper body lifts in the 6-10 rep range, and lower in the 4-6 presently.

My grip is getting taxed 5 times a week, and at the end of each workout my forarms are burning, however until today I've not actually had my grip give out. After a short break I did some farmers walks for the first time around the weightroom with a pair of 45's.

Should I work on additional grip work, or just keep doing what I'm doing? I'm focused on hitting a 500 lbs natural deadlift in my first year of returning to training, and I'm concerned that my grip may give out before I reach this goal.

Any advice or thoughts?

if your grip is failing use straps... i dont see why you would shy away from them?

just do all the work you can without straps and then when you get to weights you know you cant handle, use straps... that way you keep progressing and your grip will keep getting stronger...

why halt your progress on the biggest lifts purely because you want to shy away from straps?

Straps are a necessity for shrugs. Chalk is a necessity for all lifts (or at least it'll seem that way once you try it).

As for regular grip training, I like the Ivanko gripper. Captains of Crush grippers are another popular choice.

Another option would be to start using a hook grip (I don't use it, but BiggT does and can give you a good description).

Get a Captains of Crush #1 gripper, and start using it. don't think you are tough at say the hell with the #1, and get the #2. The #1 gripper will humble you quickly. Trust me on that one. Most people can't close the #1 the first time then pick it up. and most people can't close the #2 using both hands at the same time! there is less than 100people who can close the #3, and forget about the #4. only 2 people in the world who can close that one

illuminati is right, I couldnt close the #1 gripper the first time I picked it up, but with some work got up to closing it 10 times, still not the equivalent of closing the #2, lol... theyre great, but I don't think theres much carry-over into holding type grip... great for crushing grip strength though.

How much do those run, Illuminate?

One thing I do is I use the roller method to help build up my forearms. I don't know the name but the rope or strap is attached to some weight and you have the rope hanging down and your handle. You roll the rope all the way onto the handle and then take it back down. I used it this week to help keep my forearms in shape for work and not letting them get used to doing NOTHING.

I think it's grip work, if it isn't sorry.

rabid, I got mine for 19.99$, they may be cheaper now though. But that are really cool, start out with the trainer or the #1 grip, and when you can close it 15-20 times is about when to try to move up to the next one.

The reason I don't use straps is because I did so when I used to compete and feel that I had forearms out of proportion with my upper arms as a result. I would use them for anything over 450 on a bar for deads, stifflegged deads and shrugs.

Cynical simian, yeah I like chalk for heavy lifts. I'm not using it yet as my grip is not failing on my deads yet, but the bar I am using at the gym I think someone else is usin go for deads as it has a heavy coating of chalk on it every time I go in. Although I have as of yet to see anyone at any of the nearby 24 hout fitnesses we use doing deads. Several people in the cable and dumbbell sections were watching me do mine today. I'm not sure if they were impressed by my less than impressive 335 (hey not horrible for only 4 weeks of doing deads again) X 4... new PR... or if they were thinking "Oh man doesn't this jackass know deadlifts will ruin your back and make you fat?".

I will look into the captains of crush gripper. I've heard of them before. Do you think farmers walks will help at all? If nothing else it was a nice cooldown after a heavy training session.

body, farmers will help MUCH more. Like I had mentioned, it's a different type of grip that the capts of crush will help, not a holding grip, more of crushing. But still may be SOME carryover.

Top Bottom