Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Another Single Factor 5x5 Journal

anotherbutters

I thought I'd start a journal, see if I can share some of my gains / frustrations. I've only been lifting around 9 months, but the newbie gains seem to have eluded me. I think that's because I wasn't eating enough, but madcow recently put me straight on that (thanks again). I'm now eating a lot more (3200-3500 cals), so hopefully I'll start to see some real progress now. If I don't, well, I'll share everything here so please feel free to comment or correct me.

Some details on me: I'm 33, 158lb, 5' 9", probably about 15%BF, 13" arms, 22" thigh, 34" gut, 37" chest.

Goals: hypertrophy and strength.

I've just finished a 5x5 dual factor cycle, but madcow recommended the single factor version since I haven't been lifting long. At least I have some figures to start with.

End results of 5x5 dual factor (all weights converted from kg, that's why they're odd numbers):

max.................5x5...........1x5........3x3
Squat.............172............183........205 (1x5 - just missed 194)
Bench.............110............121........132 (3x3 - missed 3rd rep on 3rd set)
Row..................95.............106.........117
Dead..............231..............n/a.........265
Military.............62..............n/a.........84 (3x3 - missed 3rd rep on 2nd set)
Pullups............-33.............n/a.........-11 (negative because assisted!)

As you can see, I'm puny as hell! In fact, now that I've converted them from kg to lbs, they're positively embarrassing when compared with virtually everyone else I see post on these boards. Anyway, we all have to start somewhere...

Restrictions: my gym doesn't have a squat rack or cage, so I have to squat in the smith machine. I know it's not as effective, but I have no choice. They said they're getting one, but they've been saying that for ages. I'll change gyms when I change jobs, which might be soon.

Another restriction is that the smallest plates they have are 2.5kg (5.5lb), which means 11lb is the smallest jump I can make. They're supposed to be getting some 1.25kb plates, but I might just go out and get some myself. It's a bit of a bitch when I have to take my own weights to the gym :)

Anyway, I've decided to do the single factor 5x5, so here's what I'm starting on:

Squat: 183
Bench: 121
Row: 106
Dead: 243
Military: 73
Pullups: -22

I've picked weights that are about my max on the 1x5, so I ought to be able to get them since that was half way through the dual factor cycle.

Wish me luck!

Week 1

Squat (1x5): 183
Bench (1x5): 121
Row (1x5): 106

Every set of squats felt hard, even the lower ones, which is wierd. I thought I'd find the top weight easy. I got all the reps, but I couldn't have done another one on the top weight :(

Bench felt strong. I was concentrating on form, keeping my shoulder blades in, arching my back and pushing with my feet. I barely got this weight during the dual factor 5x5 and had help from a spotter. There was nobody around to spot for me today, but I went for it and found it easy. I could probably have thrown out a couple more reps, which I was pretty happy with.

Rows: I had to stand up a little bit from 90 degrees on the final set. I thought I'd get this weight ok, but no.

Whilst I was benching, a guy came to squat in the machine next to me. He built up to a little bit more than I did (only by about 10lb) but he was only squatting down about 5 inches (I go ATG). When he finished he looked at me and said "woah, they take it out of you". What an a$$!

anotherbutters said:
Whilst I was benching, a guy came to squat in the machine next to me. He built up to a little bit more than I did (only by about 10lb) but he was only squatting down about 5 inches (I go ATG). When he finished he looked at me and said "woah, they take it out of you". What an a$$!

LOL!

anotherbutters said:
Restrictions: my gym doesn't have a squat rack or cage, so I have to squat in the smith machine. I know it's not as effective, but I have no choice. They said they're getting one, but they've been saying that for ages. I'll change gyms when I change jobs, which might be soon.

Question - is there any bench or setup for military that you can put the bar on and duck underneath to get the squat bar on your back? I know it's a bitch and you might not find it but I've done this on home gym setups before. Obviously you can't push yourself as hard and you need some extra margin because reracking may be a bit harder but being stuck on a smith is a real killer. You'll always hear the "smith is ok just not as good", "works for me", "leg press is good too" etc. but let me tell you it is a difference and a really freaking big one when your goal is to get bigger and stronger. Half assed squats with lighter weight are still magnitudes better than the smith or machine press contraptions.

I didn't catch this in any of the stuff you wrote before but it's a massive one and this whole program is based on the squat which makes it really crucial. If you knew how to clean decent weight and front squat that would be a work-around, maybe barbell hack squats like deads from behind you - I honestly don't know, better to not have a bench than not have a rack because a rack can still allow benching. The squat thing is major and a serious inhibitor to any program but considering the squat is the base of the 5x5 and the primary method of volume regulation (and there is a reason for this as it's really effective) this really neuters it.

JL_204 said:
What is your diet like???

07:00
2 whole eggs
6 egg whites
Oats, 40g
Semi-Sk Milk, 1/4 pint
Almonds, Honey, Kiwi fruit

10:00
Tuna, can
Brown rice, 50g
Veg, 3 portions
Omega 3-6-9 Oil, teaspoon
Olive Oil, teaspoon

12:00 Pre-workout
Whey, 30g
Maltodextrin, 40g

13:00 Post-workout
Whey, 30g
Dextrose, 70g

13:30
Chicken breast on 2 brown muffins
Banana

16:00
Chicken breast
Brown rice, 50g
Veg, 3 portions
Olive oil, teaspoon

19:00
Tuna, can
Brown rice, 50g
Veg, 3 portions
Olive Oil, teaspoon

22:00
Ny-Tro PRO-40, 1/2
Oats, 20g
Olive Oil, teaspoon

02:00
Semi-Sk Milk, 1/4 pint
Cottage cheese, 50g

Total: 297 p / 397 c / 72 f / 3425 cals

Diet is pretty similar on non-workout days, but without the workout shakes and bread. Oh, and I go to bed around 22:00. The 02:00 snack is whatever time I wake up to go pee.

I weigh myself every morning out of habit more than anything else and I've noticed I drop a couple of pounds after workout days, so I'm going to increase the rice from what's above to add maybe another 300 - 400 cals.

Madcow2 said:
Question - is there any bench or setup for military that you can put the bar on and duck underneath to get the squat bar on your back? I know it's a bitch and you might not find it but I've done this on home gym setups before. Obviously you can't push yourself as hard and you need some extra margin because reracking may be a bit harder but being stuck on a smith is a real killer. You'll always hear the "smith is ok just not as good", "works for me", "leg press is good too" etc. but let me tell you it is a difference and a really freaking big one when your goal is to get bigger and stronger. Half assed squats with lighter weight are still magnitudes better than the smith or machine press contraptions.

I didn't catch this in any of the stuff you wrote before but it's a massive one and this whole program is based on the squat which makes it really crucial. If you knew how to clean decent weight and front squat that would be a work-around, maybe barbell hack squats like deads from behind you - I honestly don't know, better to not have a bench than not have a rack because a rack can still allow benching. The squat thing is major and a serious inhibitor to any program but considering the squat is the base of the 5x5 and the primary method of volume regulation (and there is a reason for this as it's really effective) this really neuters it.

I suspected the difference to be quite big. I've looked around and there isn't anything I can use. There is one bench with a rack attached to it, but it's too low to squat under, the rack's facing the wrong way and the bench itself would be in the way to squat down anyway. There are no out-facing hooks on the smith machine that I could rest a bar on either.

There are no racks for military - I just clean it because it's pretty light anyway (I'm pretty new to these).

It really annoys me that the gym doesn't have anything I can use. They are getting a squat rack/cage, it's just a matter of time. Things seem to be changing - they've reorganised the room to make way for the new equipment, but it hasn't arrived yet. So I'd rather hang in there and wait rather than join another gym. I'll be changing jobs soon (I'm in IT and mine's just been outsourced to India!) and I might end up relocating, so it doesn't make sense to join another gym right now.

Would it be worth trying to incorporate front squats somehow? I haven't tried, so I don't know if I could clean enough to make them worthwhile. I'd look like a real a$$ if I had to dump them :)

Week 1, Wed

I've never tried front squats before, so I tried to give them a go today. I just couldn't get the bar into position. I know it's difficult (from reading jim's front vs back squats thread), but I just couldn't get anywhere close, even trying with just the bar. I asked one of the trainers in the gym and he cleaned it, got it onto his delts, then crossed his arms buddah style. Fine for the light weight he demo'd with, but I'd never be able move my arms around like that with a weight that's worth squatting.

I could hold the bar on my delts with arms stretched forward as in the bottom pics here http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/ElbowPosition.html and could then hold the bar with arms crossed, but I just couldn't get my wrists back enough to hold the bar as in the top pic. In fact, I sprained my wrist trying and found the military press hard later!

So... I'm not sure what to do with the front squats. I can't imagine wriggling my arms into the buddah position with a heavy weight and I can't do them with straight arms and wrists back. I'll have to practice some more.

Today:

Backsquats in smith machine: 9/106 warmup then 139, 150, 161, 161, 161
Deads: 9/132 warmup then 154, 176, 198, 220, 243
Military: no warmup then 51, 51, 62, 62, 73
Pullups: no warmup them -44, -44, -33, -33, -22 (missed the last rep at -22)

Deads took a lot out of me today. I love em! I used to use straps but I started switching to mixed grip after my straight grip starts to fail and I haven't had to use straps for a few weeks now.

Military was hard because I sprained my wrist trying to get the front squat position earlier. The gym doesn't have any 1.25kg (5.5lb) plates, so I have to jump up by 11lb. I doubled up on some of the sets rather than lower the starting weight, as the starting weight was quite easy (hence no warmup).

Pullups. I can't wait until I can do these unassisted. Felt strong today, but then I missed the last rep :(

My weight is down 2lb from monday (156lb) even though I've been eating myself out of house and home.

Still waiting for my Starting Strength book I ordered a few weeks ago...

Ok, practicing front squat bar position at home with a cheap weight set I started with last year... I think I've got it. Well, right hand only. I've hurt my left wrist too much to get that hand into position. I'm going to give these another go on Friday.

I also tried cleaning the weight with hands starting in the buddah position. I'd like to see myself do that in the gym with proper weight :D

Nice update. For some reason every PT I've encountered teaching front squats (like 3 different gyms) endorses the buddha style.

I personally have never been able to do it that way. Seems like way too much going on.

anotherbutters said:
Still waiting for my Starting Strength book I ordered a few weeks ago...

FYI, it took almost 2 weeks for me to recieve it here in the States.

Top Bottom