Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Another Single Factor 5x5 Journal

Week 3, Friday

1. Back squats in smith (kg)
48 x 9 (warmup)
63 x 5
68 x 5
75.5 x 5
83 x 5 (up 2.5)
95.5 x 3 (up 5!)
75.5 x 8

2. Bench (kg)
30 x 9 (warmup)
40 x 5
45 x 5
50 x 5
55 x 5
62.5 x 3 (up 1.5)
50 x 8 (forgot!)

3. Row (kg)
28 x 5
33 x 5
38 x 5
45.5 x 5
53 x 3 (up 1.5)
38 x 8

4. Dips
BW x 9
BW + 2kg x 4
BW x 7

5. Farmers Walk
28kg db each hand, didn't count but I guess around 40 secs
28kg, 38 secs
28kg, 24 secs

Summary

Pretty good workout. I couldn't resist throwing on another 5kg rather than 2.5kg on squats today. I was supposed to be doing 3 reps at 93kg but I've done that before in my dual factor 5x5, so confidence got the better of me and I jumped to 95.5kg. Attempting 5 reps on Monday will be interesting. I used to find squats pretty draining but the past couple of weeks have been ok. Hard, but ok on the CNS. I remember I used to do these to failure a few months ago and always used to nearly pass out after them.

A note on the 5kg jumps this week - I jumped 5kg on squats and deads because I've been feeling good and I've been a little impatient to get past my final dual factor weights. This'll be the last time I try to jump up 5kg though.

Bench was good. My training partner from work turned up late, but just in time to spot for me. He hasn't been that good in the past but today was ok. My form was good too and I got the 3 reps. I reckon I can do 5 on Monday for a new PR. He did 80kg last week and got 3 reps for 85kg today. Grrr. I hate him :)

Rows were solid. Almost perfect form for 3 reps. I'm usually sloppy at this weight. Hope I can get the 5 on Monday.

I added dips again today, but didn't push too hard.

I did some farmers walks too, hehe! There's no clock nearby and I don't wear a watch in the gym so I had to count myself. I picked up 28kg dumbbells because they happened to be the nearest to me. My forearms were burning after about 25 seconds but I managed to hold on for about 40 seconds for two 'sets'. I'm not sure whether failure is determined by muscular failure or how bloody minded you happen to be and how much pain you can endure! Fun :D

BTW, whilst I was doing by squats today there was a guy next to me in the other squat smith machine. 10kg on each side and I swear he wasn't going down any more than 3 inches. I was squatting ATF right next to him with something like 30 inches of movement. Couldn't the guy take a hint as to the right way to do them?!! Argh! I just don't want to get into helping other people!

anotherbutters said:
BTW, whilst I was doing by squats today there was a guy next to me in the other squat smith machine. 10kg on each side and I swear he wasn't going down any more than 3 inches. I was squatting ATF right next to him with something like 30 inches of movement. Couldn't the guy take a hint as to the right way to do them?!! Argh! I just don't want to get into helping other people!

Ya know, the funny thing is he was probably looking over at you thinking 'Why can't this guy take a hint, he's ruining his knees' ;)

Week 4, Monday

1. Back squats in smith (kg)
48 x 9 (warmup)
63 x 5
68 x 5
75.5 x 5
85.5 x 5 (up 2.5)
93 x 5 (up 2.5) --------- PR!

2. Bench (kg)
30 x 9 (warmup)
40 x 5
45 x 5
50 x 5
55 x 5
62.5 x 5 (up 1.5) -------- PR!

3. Row (kg)
28 x 5
33 x 5
38 x 5
45.5 x 5
53 x 5 (up 1.5) --------- PR!

4. Dips
BW x 8
BW x 8
BW x 8

5. Farmers Walk
28kg db each hand, 60 secs
28kg, 43 secs
28kg, 41 secs

Summary

A few mini PRs today, but PRs all the same. I chickened out on my ambitious 5kg increase on the squat. The first few sets didn't feel right, harder than usual, so I just added 2.5kg to the top set.

Bench was good. Progress from week to week is pitifully slow - this week was only a 1.5kg increase. But given that I'm only benching just over 60kg anyway, it's still within the 2-3% increase week-on-week that I'm aiming for. I don't think I could have lifted more, so I'm just going to have to be patient. *sigh*. Mind you, 2-3% per week is about 10% per month, so I guess it isn't all that bad.

Rows were surprisingly good. This is the first time I've done 53kg with pretty good form. It was lousy at this weight before.

All in all, nothing much to report, just more small PRs :)

Did some dips and farmers walks again. It'll be interesting to see if the farmers walks can keep my grip strong enough to hold the deads. I'm not going back to straps.

One of the male PTs was showing a new female member round today. Why do they always get the girls to use the leg adductor machine? I've seen it in use every time I've been to the gym but I've never, ever, seen a bloke use it.

He also got her doing back squats in the smith machine, but his feet were about a foot further forward than where I place mine, so he couldn't go any further down than just above parallel, otherwise he'd have fallen flat on his arse. wtf?

I know I've said it before, but I'm totally addicted to this program! The next workout just doesn't come quick enough. Wednesday. Deads. 48 hours to go...

Grats on PR's. What's Wk 5 and on look like in single factor?

Re: adductor machine, there used to be this trainer at a gym I used to go to who'd but his female clients on it, then roll up a swiss ball and have a seat right in front of them lol

Jim Ouini said:
Grats on PR's. What's Wk 5 and on look like in single factor?
Thanks Jim.

Single factor is linear for as long as you can milk it for. No week to week changes to start with, so it's pretty boring from that point of view. Since I've been lifting less than a year, I ought to be able to increase linearly for a while. When I plateau, then I change things to get the gains going again. Then when I plateau again, more changes.

Over time, it gradually morphs into dual factor, which I find pretty neat. That's one of the reasons I started the journal, as a demo of how to go from single factor to dual factor. If I can do it right!

Jim Ouini said:
Re: adductor machine, there used to be this trainer at a gym I used to go to who'd but his female clients on it, then roll up a swiss ball and have a seat right in front of them lol
lol. He also had her doing some kind of pull downs and had his hands by the side of her breasts as an indication of how far she was supposed to pull down to. From where I was stood it looked like he was having a good fondle when I looked over.

Wow, you're a never-ending stream of PRs. It's awesome. Congrats.

Be glad of each and every one of those small PRs. As you observed, they add up very quickly to a massive amount of progress. 10% per month is huge.

Be careful not to overdo the grip work lest it reduce your deadlift. Assistance work is always an ongoing balancing act. It's a good choice to do without the straps but don't be afraid to use them if the alternative is to miss the lift. Just try to do without them for as much weight as possible. Good luck.

Hehe! Thanks Blut Wump.

Thanks for the heads up on the grip work. I've been throwing in assistance work on Monday and Fridays, whereas according to the 'rules' it should only be Friday.

On Mondays, I'm done with the main squat, bench and row lifts in about 30 mins, so I'm always tempted to throw something else in. I'll try to hold back next week.

Re the straps, there was a time when I couldn't lift 90kg without them. Now I'm doing 120kg for reps without them. It's such a great feeling! I always have them with me, just in case. The trouble is, if my grip starts to fail, it'll be in the middle of my final set, so there's no time to strap up.

Top Bottom