Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Another Single Factor 5x5 Journal

anotherbutters said:
I took photos about 10 weeks ago but haven't taken any since. I'm going to wait a while yet.

Take 'em now. It the only evidence you'll have. Much better than "well I think I looked bigger but I'm not sure"

Your browser might have a 'bookmarks" or 'favourites" section where you should be able to store the link.

Blut Wump said:
Your browser might have a 'bookmarks" or 'favourites" section where you should be able to store the link.
And I call myself an IT professional! :) Yeh, I can never find it within all the bookmarks though.

Make a subsection/folder

If you're on Explorer (yeuk),
Click on Favourites/Organize Favourites/Create Folder
Call it whatever (GymStuff)

Thereafter...
Go to your webpage/site
Click on Favourites/Add to Favourites/Create In ("Create In" might not be needed if the little panel is already open)
Select your folder (GymStuff)
Job done :dance2:

Thanks, but I really do know how to use a browser! I just wasn't being clear when I posted the link. Too many years in IT - I know how to use a browser, but I lack communication skills :)

Week 2, Wednesday

1. Squats (kg)
40 x 9 Front squats (warmup)
50 x 5
55 x 5
55 x 5
68 x 5 (switched to back squats in smith)
73 x 5

2. Dead (kg)
60 x 9 (warmup)
70 x 5
80 x 5
92.5 x 5 (up 2.5)
105 x 5 (up 5)
115 x 5 (up 5)

3. Military Press (kg)
23 x 5
25.5 x 5 (up 2.5)
29 x 5 (up 1)
30.5 x 5 (up 2.5)
34 x 5 (up 1)

4. Pullups (kg)
-20 x 5 (assisted)
-20 x 5
-15 x 5
-15 x 5
-10 x 5 (all same as last week)

Summary

In the original description of this program, today's supposed to be a light day. But how can a light day include deads?!

I started off trying front squats after cleaning the weight. I'm practising and getting better at these. The front squats themselves are ok, and I'm more comfortable cleaning the weight and getting it into position now. It's not pretty, but it'll do for now. I tried super_rice's suggestion (in the front squats thread) of using hook grip to keep my fingers around the bar, which worked a bit better. The thing that I find really hard though, is getting the bar down after. I can't dump it because my gym doesn't have the floor for it. I tried lifting it back into my hands with a bit of a leg kick and then lowering it in a controlled manner, but when I got the bar back into my hands I could barely hold it because my wrists were hurting so much. And of course my gym still doesn't have a rack that I can unload onto. I'll keep practising, but I'm not going heavier than today until my wrists can take it.

Deads. I look forward to deads because nobody does them in my gym and I get to lift more weight than anyone else does in any other exercise. It's a sad state of affairs. Today was absolutely knackering. I had sweat pouring off me by the third set. I got all the reps though, and it was a bit of a jump from last week. I've done 120kg for 3 reps before now, but I'm not sure whether to make another big jump and try 5 reps next week or just go to 117.5kg. Anyhow, I'm not declaring a PR until I get to 120x5.

Military - I spread the weights out a bit better today and added just a kilo to the top set. Wasn't too difficult. I'm not sure about form - I use quite a wide grip and have my elbows out to the side with my forearms mostly vertical whilst I'm doing them. And I do every rep from below my chin - the top of my chest in fact, with no leg kick at all. Is this right? I've seen some of the vids linked from madcow's main page and it looks like they use a narrower grip with elbows forward, not to the side. I'm sure what I'm doing is an effective exercise, but would I be better to work my front delts by having my elbows forwards? I don't think so but I thought I'd throw the question out there.

Pullups - same level of assistance as last week and only just got the final rep again. No real change. I was really knackered from the deads though.

All in all, a pretty tiring workout. My heart rate felt like it was up for a good couple of hours after I left the gym (from the deads).

Measured my right arm again this morning and it was unexpectedly up: 13 1/4". Another 1/8"! So that's 1/4" increase in 6 days!!!

Sounds like a great workout. I do my MP in the same position as you. I usually give myself some leg assist on the first rep and then just bring the bar down to below my chin. I think the elbows forward stance is more for push press. I'm a complete rookie at PP so I'll bow out on that one.

Week 2, Friday

1. Back squats in smith (kg)

48 x 9 (warmup)
63 x 5
68 x 5
75.5 x 5 (up 2.5)
80.5 x 5 (up 2.5)
90.5 x 3 (up 2.5)
75.5 x 8 (up 2.5)

2. Bench (kg)

30 x 9 (warmup)
40 x 5 (up 5)
45 x 5 (up 5)
50 x 5 (up 5)
55 x 5 (up 5)
61 x 3 (up 1)
50 x 8 (up 5)

3. Rows (kg)

28 x 5
33 x 5
38 x 5
45.5 x 5 (up 2.5)
51.5 x 4 (up 1) (4 reps - oops, should have been 3!)
38 x 8

Summary

I'm glad I didn't jump up 5kg in squats from last week. 3 reps with an extra 2.5kg was hard! I couldn't have done 5 reps today at the top weight. It'll be interesting to see how I fare on Monday when I try.

I only just got the 3 reps on bench today. I didn't realise until now that I'd bumped up all the other sets by 5kg, so maybe that's why it was so hard. 3 reps was almost to failure, so again, Monday will be interesting. I worked out with a friend from work today and he didn't give me half the encouragement I got on Monday when one of the gym lads spotted for me. I'm sure that made a big difference as I just wasn't concentrating the same. I tend to lose my form easily on bench - I stop pushing with my feet and let my shoulder blades out without thinking about it. Need to concentrate more.

Rows weren't too hard. I did 4 reps instead of 3 at the heavy weight by mistake! Monday should be fine for 5 reps.

Quite a quick workout. I should probably throw in some other assistance exercises, like abs and maybe dips. I've stopped all cardio as well, in order to give this everything I've got for a few weeks.

I'm kind of dreading monday now. I told my mate about getting the microweights and trying to increase the weight each week. He said I'd never add 10kg to my bench in 10 weeks, which kinda gave me something to aim for! Trouble is I found 61kg hard today and if I don't get 61kg on monday for 5 reps, I'll be pretty pissed.

Week 3, Monday

1. Back squats in smith (kg)
48 x 9 (warmup)
63 x 5
68 x 5
75.5 x 5
83 x 5 (up 2.5)
90.5 x 5 (up 2.5) ------------ PR!

2. Bench (kg)
30 x 9 (warmup)
40 x 5
45 x 5
50 x 5
55 x 5
61 x 5 (up 1) -------------- PR!

3. Row (kg)
28 x 5
33 x 5
38 x 5
45.5 x 5
51.5 x 5 (up 1) -------------- PR!

4. Dips (kg)
10 x BW
6 x BW + 2
5 x BW + 2

I was worried on Friday about getting the bench today, but I got it! I workout with a guy from work on Fridays, but he's hopeless as a spotter and I barely got the 3 reps last week. I workout on my own on Mondays and prefer it. I get one of the lads from the gym to spot for me on the last set and they're much better, with little words of encouragement, etc. I'm not sure it's a good thing that I find it easier with a better spotter though - that just says to me that it's all in my head. I'll see how this Friday goes...

Squat went up well. I could have done another rep, same as last week. I might have been able to do 5 at 93kg today. Oh well, that's for next week.

Rows weren't brilliant. I got the 5 reps, but the final rep wasn't all the way to my gut and I stood up more that I'd have liked. I'm not sure whether to try again next week at this weight or go up a notch.

I added some dips today, just for the fun of it. I hate my bench being so low, so I thought I'd add these.

Bodyweight is up to 73kg (160lb), up 1kg from last Monday.

I started the single factor 5x5 conservatively, based on my final weights in the dual factor 5x5. I'm looking forward to next week because I'll have progressed to the heaviest weights I've ever had on the bar for practially every exercise!

I'm really liking this new program. There's something to look forward to on each of the three days - Monday is PR attempts, Wednesday is deads (which I love) and Friday is the day for bumping up the weights. It'll be interesting to see how long I can keep gaining.

I saw another guy doing squats today - a rare occurrence in my gym. We should have a big red light that flashes on top of the smith machine in celebration every time someone does squats. As per all the others, he only went down to parallel though and I couldn't believe he only had about 30kg on the bar. Then he did bench and put up about 70kg. I can't understand why so many guys put so much effort into bench and then neglect legs. One of these days I'm going to snap and force someone to squat ATF!

Top Bottom