Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Another Single Factor 5x5 Journal

Week 1, Friday

This is my first week and I picked weights that I knew I could get, just to start from a known base, so there were no surprises today.

Sidenote: I'm going to switch to recording weights in kg here as that's what I use and I'm already tired of converting them each time. Just double it and add 10% to get pounds if you want. I might point out milestones in both kg and lbs though :)

1. Back squats in smith machine (kg)
48 x 9 warmup
63 x 5
68 x 5
73 x 5
78 x 5
88 x 3
73 x 8

Wow, this is the first time I've done more than 5 reps with weight in about 2 1/2 months! Call me wierd, but what a joy! I chose 88kg as my max today because although I know I can do 3 reps at 93kg, I haven't done 5 reps at 88kg yet and I want to get that on Monday. I'll save 93kg for next Friday, assuming I get Monday. Felt strong in squats today, unlike on Monday.

BTW, I've noticed my left knee bends in slightly as I squat. Both feet are pointing slightly out at the same angle and they're the same distance forward, but it always does it. It hasn't caused a problem yet, but I thought I'd mention it. I suspect the cure is to do squats out of the smith machine to built up the stabilizer muscles. I posted a complaint to the gym today about not having a squat rack :)

2. Bench (kg)
30 x 9 warmup

35 x 5
40 x 5
45 x 5
50 x 5
60 x 3 (no spotter but ok)
45 x 8 (easy)

I jumped from 55kg on Monday to 60kg today because I know I've done 60kg for 3 reps before. I'll try 5 reps at 60kg on Monday, which will be a PR. After that I'll start increasing the weight by smaller amounts.

... on which note, I bought myself a couple of 1.25kg and two 0.5kg microweights yesterday, so now I really will be taking my own weights to the gym. How hardcore is that? :)

3. Row (kg)
28 x 5
33 x 5
38 x 5
43 x 5
50.5 x 3 - using my shiny new weights :)
38 x 8

I find rows are a difficult one to definitively say whether I got a rep or not. I mean, how much do you allow yourself to stand up? With bench/squat, you either get a rep or you don't. I've decided to keep my form pretty strict, so if I have to straighten more than a tiny amount I won't count it. It's difficult to describe how much that is though.

Rows are something I can do at 48kg but just can't do at 53kg, so I used two of my 1.25kg plates and got 3 reps with good form at 50.5kg. I'll go for 5 reps on monday then maybe do a small increase to 51.5kg next friday. I don't know how much I can increase by from week to week, but I feel like I need to be conservative on these.

Summary

All in all, a good workout. Not too hard, and it only took about 40 mins.

I was going to try front squats again today, but my left wrist still hurts a bit from my experimentation on wednesday, so I'm going to leave them until next wednesday until I try them again.

My weight dipped during the week, but I'm back up to Monday's weight now (72kg). OMG, I have to eat MORE??

Oh, and my right arm is up by 1/8" from Monday. Every little bit counts :)

It seems to me that you're staying conservative and IMHO that's a very good thing. Keep the weights moving steadily upward and you'll keep making gains.
And don't give up on that squat rack- start a petition, take hostages, whatever you gotta do (except a hunger strike- gotta keep caloric surplus going):)

I like reading your updates. Makes me feel like I'm there ;)

I have some of those microplates but haven't used 'em yet. When I start working off strict percentages I may haul them to the gym. As it is my gym bag is already full enough.

I went to check out a local gym a few months back and I was starting to think it might be worth considering until I asked about squats. I might as well have been discussing third-world toilet practices for all it meant to him. After a little explanation he took me to the area where people do heavy weights where I found a few dumbells. He said that they do have some 'big guys' who come in and they all bring their own weights. I left.

Thanks Jim :)

Quick question. On monday, should I increase the weights...

a) by adding the same amount to every set, e.g.

this monday squat: 63, 68, 73, 78, 83
next monday squat: 68, 73, 78, 83, 88

or b) keep the first set low for a few weeks and spread out the increases, e.g. keep the first two sets the same, add 2.5kg to the next two sets and add 5kg to the 5th set:

next monday squat: 63, 68, 75.5, 80.5, 88

The second options seems right as it'll keep me fresher for the final set. I'd bump up the first set every few weeks.

Week 2, Monday

Holy crap!

1. Backsquats in smith machine (kg)
48 x 9 (warmup)
63 x 5
68 x 5
75.5 x 5 (+2.5 from last week)
80.5 x 5 (+2.5)
88 x 5 (+5) -------------- PR!

2. Bench (kg)
30 x 9 (warmup)
40 x 5 (+5)
45 x 5 (+5)
50 x 5 (+5)
55 x 5 (+5)
60 x 5 (+5) -------------- PR!

3. Row (kg)
28 x 5
33 x 5
38 x 5
45.5 x 5 (+2.5)
50.5 x 5 (+2.5) --------------- PR!

Wow, what a workout! It was like I was just going through the motions. Not a killer workout with near-failure reps. I just went in and got 3 PRs! Woohoo!

I'm so liking this program already. I've been looking forward to seeing whether I could get the bench weight all weekend as I missed one rep when I did this weight on the 3x3 two weeks ago. Now I've done 5 reps and I probably had another one in me! Squat was good too - I just missed 88kg in the 1x5 during my 5x5 dual factor, but got 5 reps today and could have done one, maybe two more reps if I went to failure. Rows weren't so good - I got the reps but they were only just tidy. I had nothing else in me, but I'm still happy with them.

Given that this is the single factor 5x5, on Friday I'm going to increase the above weights and go for 3 reps, then try to get 5 reps next Monday. So I guess now's a good time to choose those target weights, based on how well I did today and how much I think I'm going to grow over the next week. I reckon I could do another 2.5kg on squats, but I'm not sure about bench so maybe stick with 1kg, and definitely 1kg on rows. I'm sure I could get 3 reps with another 2.5kg on bench, but I'm not sure I could get the 5 reps on Monday. Baby steps...

I suppose today's bench was a mini milestone in that it's one plate each side plus the bar :) I'm such a lightweight.

I've been practising cleaning at home (as in the movement - my place is still a mess), in order to get into the front squat position. I can get into the position with my hands straight back now, which I couldn't figure out last week. Slightly wider than shoulder grip so my hands just finish to the outside of my shoulders.

I gave it a go in the gym today with more weight, now that my wrist's better (40kg, then 50kg). I'm thinking of practising this a lot more until I can do them right. Based on today, I'm worried about two things - first is having the bar land on my collarbone and braking it, if the bar doesn't land right. I don't know how likely this is. And second is how to get the damn bar down after without dropping it (the gym doesn't have any proper platforms). I tried shrugging the bar off my shoulders with a little leg lift, then catching it when it gets to my thighs, but I can see me missing it with heavier weight (and if the bar goes through the floor it'll finish up in the swimming pool downstairs and I'll probably get into trouble). And if I just try to roll the weight back into my hands from my shoulders, I feel like it's going to put too much stress on my wrists (which I stretched properly today). Suggestions?

After the workout I went back to the changing rooms and put my microweights (which I carry in a little black bag) on the end of a seat. I turned round and they fell off and crashed to the floor. You should have seen some of the people jump, hehe!

Last edited:
Guinness5.0 said:
Nice work. Any noticeable mass gains yet?
My shoulders seem to be blowing up quite a bit, but so is my gut. I've only been eating a decent amount for about 4 weeks and I was pretty lean before that, so maybe some of my gut is intestinal bloat or something, due to the increase in volume of food. Whatever, I'm not too bothered. So long as I'm not gaining weight too quickly and my weights in the gym are going up, I'm happy. I intend to bulk until next summer.

My normal weight is about 70kg, which I seem to revert to quite quickly. I was 67kg four weeks ago and I'm 72kg now. I'm trying to go up by 0.5kg - 1kg (1 - 2lb) a week.

I took photos about 10 weeks ago but haven't taken any since. I'm going to wait a while yet.

Top Bottom