Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Another Single Factor 5x5 Journal

That looks like a pretty sweet setup. When I saw your previous post about telling the gym manager where he could put his gym I thought you were being a bit rash but seeing your home gym explains everything.

Blut Wump said:
That looks like a pretty sweet setup. When I saw your previous post about telling the gym manager where he could put his gym I thought you were being a bit rash but seeing your home gym explains everything.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't harsh with them. The manager said he'd call me if the infamous squat rack ever came in, but it's too late for that.

Jim Ouini said:
Nice setup. AB, I think you are officially a madman. I mean that in a good way :p
I don't know how crazy AB is but his friend looks like he's trying to be a croc pot.

Week 6, Friday

Right, back to what matters...

1. Freeweight back squat conditioning (kg)
bar x 18 (warmup)
40 x 9 (warmup)
50 x 5
55 x 5
55 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5

2. Bench (kg)
bar x 9 (warmup)
30 x 9 (warmup)
40 x 5
45 x 5
50 x 5
57.5 x 5 (up 2.5)
65 x 3 (up 1.5) -- triple
50 x 8 -- backoff set

3. Row (kg)
bar x 9 (warmup)
35 x 9 (supposed to be a warmup at 30 but put wrong weight on the bar)
40 x 5 (up 2)
45 x 5 (up 2)
50 x 5 (up 2)
56 x 3 (up 0.5) -- triple
45 x 8 (up 2) -- backoff set

Comments

As I work out at home now, I don't have a treadmill or anything to warm up on so I did a lot more squats under the bar today. I haven't had any significant knee aches for the last few workouts so I'm going to start ramping up the weights on squats from workout to workout, then when I feel they're high enough, I'll start following the proper 5x5 format again. I'll keep Wednesdays as light days, just so the volume doesn't get out of hand.

60kg squats felt good today. I did 93kg on smith squats, so it'll be interesting to see where I start to slow down as I ramp up the freeweights. (I was told I could count the bar in the smith machine as 8kg, so assuming that's right, 93kg is my smith squat 5 rep max).

Bench was good for 3 reps at 65kg today. I remember when 60kg was hard for 5 reps just 6 weeks ago and my training buddy ignored this and got me to try 65kg. It was pretty comical, yet very sad - I unracked the bar, lowered it to my chest and it just stayed there! Today I did 3 reps. Not perfect, but I did them. I know it isn't a lot of weight, but 65kg is almost 10% more than the 60kg that I did a few weeks ago.

Rows were good, but I think I'm starting to stand up on them, so I'm going to have to watch my form.

Ouch - my abs are aching from trying out some hanging leg raises last night from my new 'high bar'.

Smith machines vary. The one I used to use had a proper 20Kg Oly bar on it. They also have the extra bits which slide up and down the vertical bars. I'd be surprised if the total weight were really as low as 8Kg.

Still, it's all mostly irrelevant now. As you know from reading 'Starting Strength', that leg exercise you used to do on the Smith wasn't a squat.

Yeah, what I used to do on the smith machine was almost a quad isolation exercise. Especially as I did them with legs close together, only pointing maybe 10 degrees out.

Being able to workout at home puts temptation right in your face. I've been curious about my freeweight squat max, so I just did this impromptu test:

bar x 9
40 x 9
50 x 5
60 x 5
70 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 3 ---- FAIL

I could probably have done 5 reps at 90kg if I were really trying. So I guess that answers my question - I'm not far off my (assumed) smith squat 5 rep max of 93kg. Sweet!

I'm going to build up to this quickly as I'm getting impatient.

Top Bottom