Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ankle weights for fat burning

gijonwp

hey
I was wondering if wearing ankle weights and do intense walk could help to loose weight as when you run or work out, I have knee joint problems and when I run my joints hurt like crazy and also get shin splints, thank you.

Thinking outside the box. I love it.

Ankle weights will certainly increase the calorie expenditure from your workout. Anything that makes your workout harder will increase the calories you burn during your workout. It won't be a huge increase but every little bit adds up.

You could also wear a weighted vest. Same idea but the vest might be more comfortable then the ankle weights.

Any extra weight that you would put on yourself will make you use more effort and calories to move around. So technically you will lose fat faster.

However, do not expect that putting ankle weights will make a significant difference. But in the long run, those small amounts of extra calories burnt will add up to some nice numbers.

Shin splints are a bitch. Not long ago I thought I'd simply add jogging to the mix, starting out with walking around the curves and moderate sprints on the straightaways interspersed with light jogging. Got some pretty bad shin splints. I thought I was in great shape from lifting, but it didn't help me avoid shin splints.

Those people on those shows like "Biggest Loser" must have hellish shin splints and knee pain. You can't simply go from no jogging to jogging for miles in a month, I don't care if you work out 5 days a week in the gym or what. The more you weigh the worse it is, IMO even weight from muscle can factor in as the traditional calf exercises don't seem to inoculate one to the pounding you take as a jogging newbie.

You really, really have to start out slow with jogging if you're prone to shin splints and knee pain. Super slowly. Possibly consider starting out with short periods of jumping rope before you ever hit the road.

I've read some negative things about wearing ankle weights while walking or jogging, with some saying it affects you're stride and using hand or wrist weights is preferable. However a lot of folks have done just fine with ankle weights.

Top Bottom