Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ankle weights and calves

roger.rush

what's up guys, I have a questions I was wondering if using ankle weights and running 5 days a week for about 2 miles can help to develop my calves, I know the best way would be doing lifting and machines but unfortunately I live in the country and the nearest gym is like 2 hours away by car, I have very skinny legs and my calves are even worst so I was curious about it, thank you.

Running actually doesn't involve the calf muscles very much. It's primarly a thigh and glute movement. If you don't have access to a gym, your best bet would be to do standing and sitting calf raises on a step off a stair case. You can hold weights in your hands when doing standing calf raises and put weights on your knees when doing sitting calf raises.

The calf muscles are one of the largest endurance muscles in your body. Trying to get your calve muscles to grow is almost the equivalent of trying to get the muscles in your jaw to grow. Think about it. Your calves are designed to be able to carry you for hours if you needed to walk a far distance.

Calves respond best to high reps and low reps. They are a mix of type 1, 2a and 2b muscle fibres. I recommend hitting them every other day or twice per week and alternating heavy days (6-10 rep ranges for working sets) and volume days (10-100 rep ranges for working sets).

Remember to do some seated calf exercises in addition to straight leg calf exercises to ensure you hit both the gastronomeus and soleus muscles.

You can do donkey calf raises, calf raises on a stair, fill a back pack with heavy items like rocks to do weighted calf raises. You just have to be creative at home. Since you are really skinny then you need to mainly focus on eating more food in order to grow.

Top Bottom