Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Amazing story - 74 year old bodybuilder

NYBodyguard

http://www.theargusonline.com/Stories/0,1413,83~1971~2267383,00.html

74-year-old proves fitness is key

By Dave Newhouse, STAFF WRITER

When Pax Beale, 74, walks into a room of former Cal classmates, especially the men with their withered biceps and bulg-
ing belt lines, heads automatically turn his way and jaws begin to drop.

Beale has 19 1/2-inch biceps. He is 6-2, 227 pounds of perfectly sculptured anatomy. Massive chest, cement-hard belly.

That's right, he's 74.

And he resembles Hercules compared to his days as an Oakland Tribune delivery boy.

At an age when most men's bodies are in serious decline, Beale is winning such titles as Mr. America Over 40 (while in his 50s), Mr. USA Over 50 and Mr. Hercules Over 60. He poses in bodybuilding competitions all throughout the world.

Beale always has been athletic. He ran from Death Valley to the top of Mt. Whitney in August heat, and he has completed more than 30 marathons. He took up swimming just before his 50th birthday, then made two swims to Alcatraz -- one-way in the dead of night, and a round trip without touching boat or land. As a boxer, he was the Air Force champion, losing his only amateur fight to Ed Sanders, a 1952 Olympic gold medalist.

He started as a bodybuilder at 53, discovering that weight lifting suited his back more than swimming. But, with all of his athletic endeavors, he couldn't prevent what happened to him at 61: Quintuple bypass surgery. Beale's father died of heart disease, so the signs were there for the son, even though he already had won his first national bodybuilding title.

**I have the ability to cope. Whatever it is, it is. I got married to Sophie (Taggart) while I was in my hospital bed. I couldn't even move. Sophie remembers thinking, *I'll be married at 11 a.m. I'll be a widow at 5 p.m.'* **

Eventually, Beale returned to lifting weights against the advice of his cardiologist, who told him he was chancing a stroke. He benefited from Pyrubate, a product that made muscle contraction stronger and relaxed tissue in the heart, and by weight lifting one arm at a time so as not to overtax his weakened heart. He also mastered a breathing technique that kept his blood pressure in control. He became more physically developed after heart surgery, and at 68, he became the oldest national bodybuilding champion ever. Beale then became an author. His book, "Body For The Ages: From Heart Surgery to Bodybuilding Champion," is now available. **Not if they let themselves get out of shape,** said Beale. **They'll never get that skin tone back. My book isn't to show you how to put an inch on your arms. Its intent is to show how to reduce heart disease. At any age, you can increase your self-esteem and a better way of life.**

He works out five to six days a week at his privately owned Body for the Ages Health Center in San Francisco.

"Few people can keep up with me in a gym ..." Beale said. "I plan to work out for the rest of my life."

Why not? Cardiologists verified that I've remodeled the configuration of my heart. And they've found no more symptoms of heart disease."

Beale no longer takes medication for the heart. All of this likely has some Cal classmates speculating he used steroids to enhance his strength.

'No," Beale said adamantly. "I weighed 222 at Cal. If I used steroids, I better get my money back because I haven't put on much weight."

If his classmates don't believe him, Beale might get angry enough to bench-press them one at a time.

Amazing story bro, good post, that should be inspiring for everyone, even if they dont want to run marathons, swim to alcatraz, or run from death valley to MT whitney.

good shit

throw his name in google and you can see his pictures...he is leaner then I am. I need to do double cardio tonight!

Amazing and a great source of motivation.....not to be negative, but no well in hell are his arms 19.5"......but he is ripped to the bone and at thats awesome at any age, not to mention 74.

BigBadBootyDaddy29 said:
Amazing and a great source of motivation.....not to be negative, but no well in hell are his arms 19.5"......but he is ripped to the bone and at thats awesome at any age, not to mention 74.

Heh...you and Beast beat me to it :)

But I do hope to look like that when I'm 74--assuming I even make it that far! ;)

I wonder what people his age think about his physique?

He's definitely a player in his retirement home.

Honestly he looks damn good for his age. This proves that old people arent as incapable as I thought.

Top Bottom