Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Always incorporate cardio into your workout regimen... READ

S

Stew Meat

Sports Med Phys Fitness 2000 Jun;40(2):139-44 Related Articles, Books

Changes in cortisol and testosterone levels and T/C ratio during an endurance competition and recovery.

Lac G, Berthon P.

BACKGROUND: To describe the evolution of cortisol and testosterone levels and testosterone/cortisol (T/C) ratio in long-distance runners during a relay competition and during the three days following the competition. METHODS: Two teams of four relayers (one male, one female) took part into this six-hour relay race. Hormonal control during the race was made possible thanks to saliva sampling during rest periods at each relay. The runners were subelite runners, (VO2max = 67.0 ml x min(-1) x kg(-1) in males and 56.8 ml x min(-1) x kg(-1) in females). RESULTS: During the race, cortisol levels reached approximately 1.5-fold basal levels. These levels remained high till late evening, (higher than morning values, when normal resting levels are 4 to 6-folds lower). Surprisingly, wakening levels during the following days were lower than resting levels. Testosterone did not vary in females; then, male values only are reported. During the race they decreased gradually and remained low till night. During the following three days, testosterone levels were higher than resting day levels. The T/C ratio amplifies these variations: low during the race till retiring, (currently associated with a catabolic tendency) and reversely high during the following three days (associated with a high anabolic tendency). CONCLUSIONS: As expected, a catabolic tendency occurs during a long distance run (increase in cortisol level followed by a drop in testosterone level). More surprising is the high anabolic tendency noted during the recovery period (low cortisol and high testosterone levels).

-Stew

"More surprising is the high anabolic tendency noted during the recovery period (low cortisol and high testosterone levels"

This will occur whenever a stress is placed upon the body. Weight lifting will also have similar results.

Cortisol is increased and anabolic hormones supressed, as cortisol decreases anabolic hormones increase to a value greater than baseline before the activity was undertaken.

Peace

The Iron Game said:
...as cortisol decreases anabolic hormones increase to a value greater than baseline before the activity was undertaken.

Peace

I disagree... I don't think that decreasing cortisol will increase anabolism.. only anticatabolism.

Sure, heavy resistance training can probably combat cortisol as well, but here is a study that shows the potential anabolic effects of occasional cardio. My main point is that cardio may not be as catabolic as you think as it will decrease cortisol levels for three days after.

-Stew

But they were analyzing LONG distance runners. Most of us that do cardio don't do it for such long periods of time. How do ya'll think the results would be with the T/C ratio during exercise vs. recovery if they tested athletes doing short, intense bursts of cardio? My guess would be that the ratio would be decreased less during the cardio, and increased just as much in the recovery period. I guess we figured that out empirically already...

No Stew, I think you misunderstood my point. When the body is placed under any form of stress, it is followed by an increase in many catabolic hormones that the body produces. Now when the body starts recovering what it will do is increase its anabolic hormone out to try and reverse the negative that was done by the catabolism.

Peace

I'm glad to hear this. I have always felt uneasy about doing no cardio when gaining mass. I think it is really important not to let your size get ahead of what your cardiovascular system can move around, especially if you want to be able to play football or another sport.

Top Bottom