Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Alternate Back Routine

Debaser - I'm not going to argue with you (AGAIN...), they are a staple and should be for all.......

Personally, I dont find deads necessary for my upper back development. They are one of my favorite exercises though. Im one of the few it seems, who gets excited the entire week waiting for deadlift day. They are still new to me however since Ive only been doing them consistent for a little over 2 years Im guessing. Ill say this to back up my reasoning: I brought my deadlift up from a 405 1RM to getting it 12 times and hitting 510 for 1RM with NO upper back increase in size. My chest/upper back has been plateaud at 48.5 inches for a while and was at that measurement when I started the deads. Deadlifting did not get me past this. My lower back and waist measurement thickened a good deal though, and possibly traps, but thats about it. I mainly do them cuz I enjoy them so much and like the strength. For developing my upper back Id stick to heavy barbell,dumbell and T-bar rows, and chin-ups,lat pulldowns, low cable rows, hammer strength machine rows, and heavy trap specific work like barbell and dumbell shrugs. My traps seem to have thickened and gotten alot denser since deadlifting though. And since I cant measure those I just go by feel. They feel like steel cables these days, relaxed. I always had traps though. Hope that helps

Debaser said:
Tell me this then. For your upper body, how about an exercise where you're slightly bent forward, and you just stay in that position holding a bar. Because that's all you're really doing with deadlifts. All your upper body does is hold the bar. Your hips and lower body are what move it.

You can certainly do squats without doing deads. You can't seem to think of a reason why deads are a staple, other than the fact that many half-assed trainers don't do them. I still do Romanian deadlifts, because they're a different movement that compliments squats nicely.

Maybe this is just me but after not being able to do deads for a good 3 months I definitely noticed thickness in my lower\mid back and traps being lost....yes...other exercises can be used to acheive this but I believe deadlifts do it best of all.....

BIGDHO said:
Not to sure how to make up the routine and split but Ive heard some others doing this with good sucsess...........Ill have to think on that one.

I think i may join you and Jkurz on the two back days per week. My back is one of my lacking areas, only hit it hard for the past couple of years. I think i may pair back with my bicep routine on tuesdays, following international chest day, then hit triceps and back on friday. I will discuss this with my partner today.

What do you and Jkurz think?

cwick0 said:
wide-grip bb rows w/ palms facing:
good bend in knees, back should be perfectly or close to straight, and feet close together. I dont go real heavy on them cause the form goes to shit to quickly. 135, 155, 185, 205 all for 10. I have done this the past 3 weeks and my back hasnt bothered me at all, not even my workout partners back has bothered him and his lumbar region is messed up.

close-grip bb rows w/ palms away:
feet normal width, bend in knees, straight back.

I did the second way tonight..."Yates Style" I guess...and worked up from 135 to 185 using the strictest form I could....and let me tell you...world of difference....

Agree with debaser on the exercise point. Doing DBrows, BBrows, and seated rows in the same workout is kind of redundant. Although, I could see doing pulldowns (w. variations in the grip) as an accessory to pullups to get some extra reps in. Back routine as of now looks like:

Widegrip Pullups: As many sets to get to 40 total reps (I increase the amount of total reps every month or so)
BB rows 4 sets, heavy
Deads 2-3 working sets (3-2 warmup)
Chin ups (palms facing) 2-3 sets

Back used to be my most hated b/p to workout, Now its one of my favs.

InTraining said:
I did the second way tonight..."Yates Style" I guess...and worked up from 135 to 185 using the strictest form I could....and let me tell you...world of difference....

the form on these can be a bitch, hence i no longer push the issue with any heavy weights. I use to have a buddy who would do these sobs with 365, shocking i know.

You wont have to go heavy either and you should notice your back starting to thicken up.

Hey, big boy..............I'm thinking about hitting back (width) tonight along with my arms............normally just an arm day, but I'm thinking about knowing the volume down a few sets on those and hitting the lat pull, wide grip seated rows, and chin-up bar for a few.............

Top Bottom