Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Allow myself to introduce.... myself

Cracker Jax

Hey everyone! I'm new to the board, but I've been a regular visitor and reader for about three years. I've been VERY impressed with the quality of knowledge, the passion and the...um.. perversity here! It's all good!

Thought I'd finally start participating in the board, get to know some of you and get some help in achieving my goals.

Right now my training's in a rut. I'm hoping you can help me lift out of it.

I've been seriously lifting for three years now. Currently I'm 5'11" and weigh 190 lbs. Body fat is pretty low but I'm not shredded. I am a little soft in the middle- small love handles. When I started lifting I was a little over 170 lbs. Last winter I was 200 lbs. In the spring and summer I shedded some fat to my current weight.

Here's the problem: My lifts are stuck. Can't get my squats past eight or nine reps at 235#'s in the cage, 260#'s in Smith Machine. Yes, I go as low as I can with squats. Chin-ups are stuck at ten to twelve reps, bench press 160 #'s for seven reps.

Squats kill me and I love them! They completly knock the wind out of me as I move up intot he reps, but I haven't seen an increase in strength in a while. What's up with that?

Here's my routine:

Monday- QUADS/ ABS: 2-3 sets Leg Ext., 4 sets Squats, 2-3 sets Leg Pressor Hack Squats, 2 sets Walking Lunges. 6 set ab excersises.

Tues- BACK: 3 sets Pull-Ups, 3 sets Barbell Rows, 2 Sets Machine Rows, 2 sets Pull Downs. 30 mins. cardio.

Wed- SHOULDERS/TRIS: 3 sets Barbell Press, 3 sets Lateral DB Raises, 2 sets Shrugs, 2 sets Front Shoulder Raises. 2 sets Dips, 2 sets Tri Kick Backs, 2 sets Push Downs.
30 mins. cardio.

Thur- OFF

FRI- HAMS/ CALVES/ABS: 3 sets Leg Curls, 3-4 sets SL Deadlifts, 2 sets Standing Leg Curls, 3 sets Donkey Raises, 2 sets Seated Calf Raises, 2 sets Standing Clf Raises. 6 sets Ab Excerises.

Sat- CHEST/ BIS: 4 sets Bench Press, three sets Dumbell Bench Press, 3 sets Pec Deck, 2 sets Push Ups. Six sets curling excerises. 30 mins cardio.

DIET: 3,500- 4k cals/ day. 5- 7 meals at day. 200 to 300 grams protein. I eat fairly clean, but not perfect- egg whites, turkey, chicken, soy protein, oatmeal, pasta, rice, potatos, fruit, vegies, protein shakes...

My goals are to lift heavier, add more muscle by bulking through winter and then trim off the fat in spring and summer.

I've thought about doing a cycle of juice late in the winter to help with the bulking, but I'm still researching that and taking it slow. I'm sure I can add more naturally first.

Hope you guys can give me some advice on how to get back on track. Am I overtraining or undertraining? Overeating or undereating? I do feel tired sometimes.

Sorry for the length of this post but I wanted to make sure you have all the info.

Hope you can help and THANKS!

dgreenhill- Thanks for the reply. What is "phasing"?

Anyone else out there have any opinions? Come on, bros!! I know you're there for me!

Either I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, or you've gotten something completely wrong.

"...Can't get my squats past eight or nine reps at 235#'s in the cage, 260#'s in Smith Machine. Yes, I go as low as I can with squats. Chin-ups are stuck at ten to twelve reps, bench press 160 #'s for seven reps."

"My goals are to lift heavier, add more muscle by bulking through winter and then trim off the fat in spring and summer."

Those two statements just don't go together. If your goal is to lift heavier, then why are you trying to get your reps higher and higher? High reps (in the area between 8 and 15) are not the way to optimize your strength. Strength are build by 4-6 reps and nothing higher.

Real powerlifters do 1-3 reps, but you don't sound like a dedicated powerlifter. More like someone, who want both strength and size without taking any of them to the extreme (a quite healthy attitude, actually).

So cut down on the reps and add some more weight.

And finally, I have to say, that your routine looks breathtaking to me. What you do in two days is what I would recommend for an entire week. Remember, that the bigger you get, the less you will be able to train, as a bigger body will be able to put more strain on itself than a smaller body, and therefore also needs more time in between sets and in between days to recouperate.

The biggest mistake made in gyms around the world is without any doubt working to hard and thereby wasting unbelievable amounts of time and energy.

Top Bottom