Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

To All Bill Starr 5x5 Users

A

Anthrax Invasion

Have any of you noticed shoulder pain from flat bench pressing, especially when running the intensity phase?

Do you do rows with a pronated or supinated grip?

Do you do pullups with a pronated or supinated grip?

I ask because the prospect of longevity is important to me, as is becoming bigger and stronger. I know that the flat bench can be a dangerous exercise for the shoulders. What worries me more than anything is running into triples with very heavy weights with the exercise.

I also know that doing most pulling movements with an overhand grip can be detrimental to the cuffs. I was thinking of doing pullups with an underhand (supinated) grip, as well as rows.

Any thoughts on this, and whether or not it will negatively effect my routine?

Also considering making flat bench press a 30 degree incline, and sticking with standing overhead pressing on Wednesday.

Yes, at the end of my 4th week, my shoulders were SORE. Felt like I climed a mountain. Not so much muscle sore, just like my joints were smoked. The 5x5 has so many exercises that you use your shoulders for. On top of that they are all HEAVY. I don't think that benching is the main problem for your shoulder pain. If anything it could be the heavy deads or Military presses. The pullups actually seem to make them sore for me.

I do rows with a pronated(palms down) grip. I think it would work bi's more to do them supinated.

Pullups I do 3 sets Pronated(palms away) and 2 supinated. I like doing a couple supinated sets for the arms, seems to build mass well.

I think a lot of it is individual. I had no shoulder issues whatsoever- never have had any shoulder problems other than very minor cuff tweaks from going too heavy on upright rows.

One thing that I think helps me in terms of shoulder health is that I have always used some sort of a heavy rowing movement along with pressing and the two are close as far as weight goes. At the end of my first 5x5 run I tripled 315 on bench and 300 on parallel bb rows. Being nearly as strong in the row means that I'm able to control and balance my bench press weight without undue stress on my shoulders. Also, overhead pressing serves this purpose- it strengthens the cuffs themselves as well.

Of course if you have previous injuries then I don't know what to tell you. I'm just guessing as to why I've never had trouble despite the rather common occurance of injury to those who are frequent benchers.

EDIT: Got carried away and didn't answer your q :p . I did all my movements pronated.

Also, I'd bench flat as you can apply more load that way, unless you have an injury already.

i run all my movements pronated because it's harder on the forarm and bicep. I see no reason why a supinated grip would effect the rotator cuff, because the rotation is in the forearm and not the shoulder. If you have flexibility problems and you have to flair your elbows to keep a pronated grip then you might run into issues with the shoulder. Keep your elbows in during all pressing and pushing motions (relatively). Basically keep the elbows inline with your grip. When I see people doing BBer bench with the elbows waaaay out it makes me cringe.

If you gain muscle and strength fast, consider slowing down a bit on the weight increase or even dropping your work weights. Dont just grind though the pain. You might be outgrowing your tendons and ligaments. They are slower to adapt as compared to muscle.

Switching from a pronated to a supinated grip actually has some rotation up to the shoulder. You can feel it if you place your hand over your deltoids, holding your arm up as if doing a pullup, and switch grips by rotation the wrist/forearm. It might not feel like much, but I've heard people complaining in the past from using an overhand grip with these.

To be honest, my shoulder pain may be related to a bicep tendon issue instead. I'll probably stick with the pronated movements, as they tend to be harder, and I don't feel as accomplished when I choose supinated instead. If I wind up with any problems, I'll let everyone know. Chances are, I'm just being paranoid.

Of course, thanks for all the input, everyone.

I never heard about the overhand grip being a problem for the shoulders before
do you do a bodybuilding style bench or a clsoer gripped elbows in powerlifter style bench?

I bench the same as CCJ. Close grip, no arch or leg drive, shoulder blades tucked.

I'll add my weight to Guinness5.0's answer. Nothing else, really, to add to it since, except that he moves more weight than I do, I'd write almost the same.

Try varying your grip on the bench. Try wider and narrower variations.

I never had any shoulder issues(actually my shoulders got way stronger), but I did start to have elbow pain if I tried to shoot baskets the day after a bench day. But I think for me that had more to do with strength imbalances(very strong triceps/weak biceps) more so than any thing inherent to the program

Top Bottom