Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

After 2-week layoff, should I just resume my normal workout?

HotFlip

I'm going on vacation for two weeks, and I will not be able to lift at all in those two weeks. When I come back, should I just resume where I left off, meaning, High Intensity on all the sets after warmups, or should I ease back into HIT.

Do most of you consider a two-week layoff long? I've only been working out consistently since January of this year.

During you should have stretching sessions to hold off muscle loss as much as possible. When you get back in the gym use less weight snd more reps. Try to eat as clean as possible on your vacation. Like that's gonna happen!

I did the same thing when I went on vacation for two weeks. I did pushups almost every day as it was all I could really do. Didn't really watch my diet. By the end of the two weeks I really felt small but I went back into the gym and was still putting up the same weight, same number of chins, etc. I was really surprised. So my advice is just do pushups!

For your shoulders you can do pushups on your head (if that makes sense, your feet up against a wall head towards the floor with hands shoulder width), this is damn hard the first time. Give it a go for a laugh.

You can do dips between two chairs

You can pretty much train most of your body with chairs and stuff like that.

You have to improvise!!

How long does it take to do this? not long, but ultimately its what you want.

Hotel room excercises. (he he, that sounds rude!) For maintaining size on holiday.
A good suitcase can be a valuable training aid. Here are some examples:

Legs.
1 legged squats. require good balance or you can support yourself on a wall if you've got none.
Strap heavy suitcase to shins for leg extention sat on an chair (use bungee straps).
Sissy squats.
1 legged calf raise (best stood on a block). Hold suitcase in 1 hand.
1 legged standing leg curl resting bed on ankle.
Hyperextentions laying over bed with ankles supported in headboard (Hams and lower back).

Back
Chins (various positions) from doorframe or upturned bed (as in T2)
Bent over row with bed (better if someone sits on it for weight)

Chest
Press ups with feet on bed (awkward but a case can be balanced on back for additional weight or someone can push down).
Dips on two chairs or side. (if you use a sink make sure it is strong enough - I broke one)
Flies with two equal weighted cases lay on a stool.
Pullovers with a case.

Shoulders
Lateral raises (front/side/rear) with anything heavy you can find - again can be done single with your case.
Upsidedown presses (as Cyto said)
Single behind neck press with heavy case.
Upright row with case.
Shrugs with someones car in the car park!

Arms
Single arm suitcase curls.
Bed curls - holding side frame.
1 arm tricep extention with case behind head.
Kickbacks with case.
Close grip press ups.

Abs
Usual leg raises on edge of bed or floor
Sit ups - feet under bed.
Sit ups - legs on bed, tucked in tight.
Crunchies.

Hope these help you.

Wicked routine, Ive got something similar in a book I got years ago, always comes in handy when going on courses and stuff!!

Bed curls, I remember doing that one!! haha

I thought I was ingenious, but I nearly broke the bed in the end.

Sink dips...haha..never tried that one

Thanks all for the excellent ideas, especially Strengthmonster's routine! That should keep my roommies laughing for 30 minutes or so every morning, but who cares!

A personal trainer at the gym I work out at is going to loan me one of those stretch bands, and he's going to show me various exercises with it. Hopefully, that will supplement the routine you've outlined nicely.

I've been working out almost every weekday for about 4 months straight now, so it's time for a break anyway. I just started taking bodybuilding seriously since January, and going at it really hard since beginning of March. I'm feeling pretty worn out, and the light workouts in the two weeks vacation will be a welcomed relief.

If you are going to take 2 weeks off from exercise period, then you will detrain. You should take this time to 'actively' rest, to ensure strength and muscle atrophy are kept to a minimum. Those hotel room exercises are a good way of ensuring a training stimulus. If you cant do them, for whatever reason, then swim, run, or do other forms of sport.

I never will forget when a few years back I carried a clamp on chin-up bar for hotel door frames. About half way through, the whole door frame came apart. It cost me a couple hundred in repairs.
Thanks for the other ideas, I'll try them on my week off at the beach. Hopefully I don't break anything.

Top Bottom