Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Aerobics before or after weights...

1Banshee

Did a search and could not find any discussions. If I missed it I apologize in advance.
The question is: Is it better to do aerobics before or after weight training? Why?
My current workouts schedule consists of the following:

Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Back / Abs
Wednesday - Shoulders / Traps
Thursday - Arms / Abs
Friday - Legs (total)

I will be incorporating Aerobics on Monday / Wednesday / Friday. I can find arguements for both the before and after senario, and am curious what other think??

If you mean just prior to or post training, then I feel post training is more beneficial. Here is my reasoning, your body has used it's glycogen stores for resistance training. Therefore, when you do your cardio you can spend less time on the treadmill, and burn more fat.

After training is better for cardio work. Before brakfast is even better but with our hectic lifestyles that is tough.

Thanks for the replies!!! I was planning on doing cardio pre-workout. After reading these replies, I am going to try it post workout instead. Edgecrusher your reasoning make alot of sense, thanks!!

I should have noted in my original post: I am adding aerobics to my workouts, because I have been neglecting the cadiovascular side of my training. It is not for weight loss or pre-summer, ect, ect... Thanks again!!

Last edited:
I read some study done on this very subject. Anyhow, they came to the conclusion that it didn't make much difference whether you do cardio before or after if you are a guy. Women on the other hand should do cardio after weights. Can't remember the reason why though.

Personally, I like to do my cardio after, unless its a light cardio sesssion. In that case I do it before since it gets the blood flowing and warms me up nicely.

gymtime said:
Lifting should be done when you are completely fresh, so do your cardio after.

exactly. if you do cardio first, you're strength reserves will be compromised. if you don't believe me try running for a few miles then hit the weights. Then the following week try doing weights first then running. you'll notice the difference.

Top Bottom