Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Adam Archuleta workout routine

At 220lbs the all-time best bench in the world is American M LaMarque on 13Nov04 of 771lbs. (Ref Herb Glossbrenner for USPL). [And S. Rabine at 198lbs got 685lbs). 500lbs at his body weight would not be unheard of at all, certainly not unbelievably strong.

However, this bench and all the top 20 in this weight class are shirted. It takes time to work a shirt, and he brags in the interview link about not doing the same exercises in years. You don't imagine him doing dedicated shirt work when he is doing clapping push-ups one week and medicine ball drops the next. Shirtless, (and I can't see him developing shirt skills), a 530 lb bench would be tough at his weight.

Also, I read about the Evo-Sport guy online, and he likes this thing he uses kind of like an upper body leg press. You plyometrically push this platform. This is a great power exercise. But the evo-sport guy tends to call it a dynamic "bench press", and I imagine so do his trainees. It's more like a weighted platform catch. You don't need stabilizers and the sled/incline etc make the weight meaningless off that machine.

And he can't do sternum bouncing with that weight. As for dynamic or catch bench, the weight will be less than a maximum effort bench. Period. As it says in Zatsiorsky's Science and Practice of Strength Training "It is impossible for athletes to generate a large force in a fast movement if they cannot develop similar or even greater force values in a slow motion." [p208]

So I would have to say daverelli is probably right. I don't think this man can bench 530lbs in a regulation powerlifting form from the evidence above. He is definitely not catch benching 530 either.

However, to put the best spin on it (besides it being simple self-promoting bullshit), I would say an uneducated reporter took a weight from a plyometric machine and called it a bench.

But I think it is a much more meaningful way to train for football than old methods. He has great power, and it seems readily transferrable to the field. This is what interests me.

And daverelli, why is this so important to you? That is what I don't understand. Why are you all up this guy's ass because of some stupid newspaper clipping? Just curious.

actually i just made one comment about it and all of my other posts have been in response to other posts but glad to see at least one person has a little common sense, it's demeaning to huge, massive lifters who have been in this game for 20 odd years who HAVE ACHIEVED a legit 500+ bench to see a skinny backward ballcap wearing 25 year old claim a bench that it took years to build, it kind of reminds me of these fools in the gym who press 4 wheels on each side of the Hammer Strength incline and then go around telling people that they incline press 405, gimme a break

daverelli said:
actually i just made one comment about it and all of my other posts have been in response to other posts but glad to see at least one person has a little common sense, it's demeaning to huge, massive lifters who have been in this game for 20 odd years who HAVE ACHIEVED a legit 500+ bench to see a skinny backward ballcap wearing 25 year old claim a bench that it took years to build, it kind of reminds me of these fools in the gym who press 4 wheels on each side of the Hammer Strength incline and then go around telling people that they incline press 405, gimme a break

You got some issues bro

daverelli said:
so Dial Tone you're saying that he can bench 530 with enough force that the weight leaves his hands at the top and he catches it, hahahahahahahahahahaha

If that's how you interpreted what I said then you truly are a moron. I've done 365x2 and I don't think i'd come anywhere near 225 for 31 reps....mid 20's if I trained it for a few weeks.

Dial_tone said:
If that's how you interpreted what I said then you truly are a moron. I've done 365x2 and I don't think i'd come anywhere near 225 for 31 reps....mid 20's if I trained it for a few weeks.
i agree. i'm pretty damn close to 4 plates now and dont think i'd get more than 22 or 23 with 225

Dial_tone said:

Not criticicizing anyone, but a buddy of mine in highschool practiced benching 225 for as many reps as possible for football (He was about 230 pounds 18 yr old) and he could eventually get it up 33 times. However, he could basically only put up about 405 for 1 rep. I disagree with both comments regarding how many times someone could rep 225 directly corelated to their 1 rep max.

let me load a seven foot olympic bar with 5 45lb. plates, a 10, a 5, and a 2 and a half on each side and if his skinny ass benches it i'll give him my house, car, wife, everything i have, that weight would come dowm and fold his little ass like a cheap shirt

JIMguy said:
Not criticicizing anyone, but a buddy of mine in highschool practiced benching 225 for as many reps as possible for football (He was about 230 pounds 18 yr old) and he could eventually get it up 33 times. However, he could basically only put up about 405 for 1 rep. I disagree with both comments regarding how many times someone could rep 225 directly corelated to their 1 rep max.

We were both commenting on ourselves so what's there to disagree with? I think we know our own strength limits better than you do. This comes down to red/white muscle fiber distribution. Someone with more red muscle fibers would get more reps, I believe. I have a hard time picturing the guy doing 530 but I'd like to see what he can do and what this speed press thing looks like.

Last edited:
I'd like to see this video. I don't doubt he can do it, but I just want to see the mechanics of the lift.

p.s. nobody said the video showed him benching 530. The video (according to online reviews) shows him doing tons of plyometric stuff. Some field stuff. It's supposed to be impressive and interesting.

The 530 bench comes from a statement in an article about the training. It says that his "bench" went from such and such in 2.69 secs (something like that the numbers aren't exact) to 530lbs in 1.08 secs. First thing to notice is that the "bench" is measured in hundreds of a second. Sure sounds like a plyometric machine with a movement timer. I don't think coach jay is stop-watching that shit. lol.

This stupid comment has taken on a life of it's own.

If you search on google for 530 bench arch. you will get 20 copies of this article and people arguing about it on 50 different forums.

The video never shows his one rep max. He never said it either. It's just an offhand comment from an article.

It has me curious now, though. I wonder what his true one rep max authentic bench is. I saw one his teammates criticizing this story. This guy said he did 225 for 35 and his max is 405, and since he beats our boy on the NFL "strength test" he didn't think the famous DB could bench 530. But then that gets into the whole endurance versus max strength argument.

Top Bottom