Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

abs workout..

Bohonos

i wondering i have very untrained abs... How hard and often sjould a person train their abs? Something equally to around 100 to 150 sit ups a day be worth while..
Please help guys

a. Situps are terrible for your back and not as good for your abs as crunches.

b. Don't Train Your Abs every day or you will never see them.

c. Vary your training. The Shock Principal (Confusing your muscles) works well.

d. Don't forget diet. Little or no processed sugar, fruits can help wash away fat, low carbs, high protein.

e. Don't forget your cardio. Either run or jump rope 20-30 minutes a day twice or three times a week.

Bump if you agree fellas

I don't necessarily agree that it isn't good to train abs everyday. It all depends on intensity. I've seen many professional-level workouts that actually encourage ab development on a daily basis. It all depends on intensity. Stick to one or two exercises for your abs per day, and remember to work your lower abs, then your obliques, then your mid/upper abs in that order.

To be frank, most people can obtain six-packs by simply dieting and doing cardio, but if you want to increase your ab strength and size then you have to work them out just like everything else.

"To be frank, most people can obtain six-packs by simply dieting and doing cardio, but if you want to increase your ab strength and size then you have to work them out just like everything else."

Exactly. Train your abs with resistance, train your abs with progressive overload.

I usually do staggered sets wherever I feel like it in the middle of a workout, the two exercises I do are kneeling cable crunches and weighted crunches (hold a plate arms locked overhead on a decline bench)

My ab routine varies, but in general it looks like this:

Leg Raises - 1 X 20
Side Crunches - 1 X 35
Incline Sit-Ups - 2 X 20
Killer Crunches (i.e. hold up position for 3 seconds) - 2 X 15

Some may say this is overtraining the abs, but I find it works well. NOTE: Bruce Lee used to do abs every other day, and used to do about 1000 reps of ab exercises in a day - more is in many cases, better for ab exercises in my opinion.

I agree with lean tean, crunches are more effective and work the abs better. I find that sit-ups are almost useless for abs, because as you come up over the 30-45 degree angle, your back muscles and hip flexors take over anyway.

In his early days Bruce Lee did:

* Waist twist - 4 x 90
* Sit-up twist - 4 x 20
* Leg raises - 4 x 20
* Leaning twists - 4 x 50
* Frog kicks - 4 x 50

If Bruce was tired, he would do only three excercises and less reps.

I altered this to suit me:

* Waist twist (with flexing) - 4 x 90 --A broom is used as stabilizer for rotational movement!

* Sit-up twists - 1 x 20
* Oblique crunches (weighted) - 1 x 25 (ea. side)
* Leg raises - 4 x 20
* Side bend streches (with flexing) - 4 x 20
* Regular crunches (weighted) - 2 x 20
* Bicycle crunches - 1 x 50
* Standing curl crunches (w/flex) - 2 x 20

The last is the hardest. To do it: Stand up right, feet a little more than shoulder width
apart, hands on hips, come back as if looking at the ceiling, then going to a downwards position down as far as you can to the groin area while there flex real hard--you will feel it.

It works your midsection, and sometimes I can feel a nice burn all over my abs while doing this. Take it easy, start with small movements and avoid usage of the back. Try not to rest longer than 90 seconds in between workouts. Try not to work your abs everyday, but rather 3-4 times a week. If you have abs and you can't see them you will have to start doing more cardiovascular excercise and significantly reduce carbohydrate intake (especially those unhealthy processed carbs).

Bruce Lee also taught his students that spot-reducing was just a notion, and that ab excercises will build muscle, not reduce the fat surrounding them (that is the duty of cardio and dieting or eating healthy).

Good luck!

Top Bottom