Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is 5X5 suitable for me?

AI03

I've been researching routines on MT, and the only one that appeals to me is Frankie's 5X5 routine.

However, I'm assuming that this isn't the routine for a beginner. Also, Because It involves more sets and fewer reps, the programme must involve lifting heavy weights.

I can't lift heavy ass weights(yet), so I'm not sure whether 5X5 will be suitable for me.

Can you experienced ppl plz help me devise a programme. I want to do weights on Monday, Wednesday,and Friday.

I prefer training with free weights. My main aims are to increase strength, and muscle gain.

All advice appreciated

Thanks

5x5 is a great routine for a begginer since it is pretty simple to follow. Start out light on you 5x5 lift and add weight each week.

HodgeMN said:
5x5 is a great routine for a begginer since it is pretty simple to follow. Start out light on you 5x5 lift and add weight each week.

Yep, I agree. I think the 5x5 is a great way to get involved, and like he said, you don't start out heavy. You start out light enough where you can add five pounds a week to each primary exercise. I used it coming back from my shoulder surgery and it worked wonders. :)

5x5 is great...I made some great gains with it starting in November and still use some of the "principles" in my training now...

If you can only workout M,W,F I would suggest a chest\tri, back\bi, legs\shoulders split...this is what I did when I was using the program and it worked well...some say not to train bis on back day and tris on chest day but I liked it as it minimized overlap....also the tris will be working hard during your pressing exercises for shoulders.

If you add the green dots and posts of this three fellas ^^^
my opinion probably worth shit. But here it goes, 5x5 is a great routine but I wouldn’t go for it if I haven’t reached certain limit in your gains/strength ... I haven't perform 5x5 yet because I am sure I still can suck some gains from a normal 3x8 or a drop up 10-8-6.

Luciano_ said:
If you add the green dots and posts of this three fellas ^^^
my opinion probably worth shit. But here it goes, 5x5 is a great routine but I wouldn’t go for it if I haven’t reached certain limit in your gains/strength ... I haven't perform 5x5 yet because I am sure I still can suck some gains from a normal 3x8 or a drop up 10-8-6.

Nah, I stole most of my green dots when people weren't looking. ;)

Post count doesn't mean much either. Your opinion counts as much as anyone else's here, so feel free to express it. :)

The progression principles behind the 5x5 are great at any level. Id definately go with a good deal more volume however. Maybe do the 5x5 for the compound lifts like bench,deadlift,inclines etc and then add some extra sets. I believe you really need to force a muscle to adapt in order for it to grow, and 5 sets could never achieve that for me. Of course, since you are starting out your going to get some growth regardless, since your body is still adjusting to weight lifting. The 5x5 has been working real well as a small part of my chest routine, in helping me recovery from this back injury. Keep it up!!

big4life said:
Nah, I stole most of my green dots when people weren't looking. ;)

Post count doesn't mean much either. Your opinion counts as much as anyone else's here, so feel free to express it. :)

Thanks Big4 !
I feel free to post and suggest, but I always try to make clear that I am new and my suggestions are based more in reading, guessing and copying someone else threads than in own experience. :rolleyes:

Cheers !

Yeah, I'm curious about Frankie's version of 5 x 5 too. As for the tried and true Needsize 5 x 5, I'd adapt it for a untrained person by doing only the core lifts the first week, and adding in one auxillary lift to failure per body part every other week.
1st week: 5 x 5 very light
2nd and 3rd weeks: 5 x 5 plus one auxillary lift to failure in the 8-10 rep range
4th and 5th weeks: 5 x 5 plus two auxillary lifts, one set each
6th and 7th weeks: 5 x 5 (or 5 x 3 if you've moved into this phase), two sets of one auxillary lift, one set of another.
8th and 9th weeks: 5 x 5 or 5 x3, with two sets of each auxillary lift.

Start very light and add 5 lbs. to your core lift every week. Don't rush things, especially if you're untrained. IMO guess a starting weight for the core lifts where you'll take at least two months to be reaching failure on the last set of the 5 x 5. Be conservative and let your body adapt!

Last edited:
Top Bottom