Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5 Stronglifts = Poor body aesthetics?

Have you ever seen Christiano Rinaldo in person? Imagine a toothpick, with really good hair. Guy cant weigh more than 175 at 6'1''

With what I've heard and seen, i'm sure with SL5x5 and alot of cardio to drop BF and the end results of the SL5x5 they'd look shredded, I'm currently starting the sl5x5 and I've done alot of cardio so I'm really defined, I'll stick before and after photos up for us to see my progress on strength training an mass gain from this program? I've got an under 10%BF and weigh 54kg, 120lbs atm and have just started the program, so in 6 weeks I'll do a check and again in 12 weeks or check my workout log if your curious, diets good and get full stats that way

But I'm up for guine pigging how it goes in terms of aesthetics/looks with low bf% not average Joe bf% lol

Just came across this site as I was doing a search on StrongLifts. I'm actually doing the program. I was forced to take a layoff from training due to neck surgery and recently got the go ahead to start working out again and continuing with taekwondo. StrongLifts is not a bodybuilding program as mentioned and focuses more on development of strength. More importantly, StrongLifts seems to be geared towards people who are just venturing into the weight training/strength training arena, and works well for guys like me just coming off an injury who want to develop a good foundation of strength to work with. If you look at Mehdi's program, he recommends starting with an empy bar...45 pounds for inexperienced people who have never weight trained and who need to learn how to use proper form. I trained for 30 years with a "bodybuilding style" routine of 8-12 reps, etc. before degenerative disc disease took over and to be honest, I'm wondering why I never started with a program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength. Again, the reason you don't see huge guys on the Stronglifts site is that most are drug free, and again, these pics are mostly of people before they started the 12-week program and after 12 weeks.

Fact of the matter is, most beginners are gonna look like shit for a while no matter what they do. It takes a long time to build a good physique and at least they definitely got stronger.

most beginners dont know how to train so what theyll do is work out until they feel lactic acid building up in their muscles and leave the gym feeling they just finished the most productive workout session and take a smoke. they then come back next week to find that they havent increased in strength at all or they havent put on any muscle(its pretty hard to see the difference in muscle mass after 1 week but im just giving an example here so bear with me.) this goes on for months and maybe years, they get discouraged and blame their poor genetics or make excuses about how they are an ectomorph or whatever bullshit they can come up with.

SL 5x5 gives you a measure of your progress and builds the foundation upon which you can build your weightlifting career on. if you can lift 5 or 10 more pounds than last week then you made progress. do this every week and pretty soon you will be doing bigger numbers in no time. i was on the SL 5x5 program until i could squat 300lb at a weight of 160 i then moved onto the westside conjugate method and gained 2lb of weight every month until i reached 176. the 2lb of gains were mostly muscle as my bf% remained fairly constant.

so you see, SL 5x5 isnt the endgame training program that should be used throughout the rest of your life. its the very first basic building blocks. it lays a very solid foundation on which you can transition into any program. if you want to look aesthetic then do the SLs until you hit a reasonable weight in the squat and then transition into a body building program.

Yes lifting heavy doesn't swell up muscles. So therefore before you start 5x5 build a foundation of size then go to 5x5. Lifting heavy builds dense strong muscle not puffy muscle. It's all about what you train for, size, strength, endurance, aesthetics. You can still have a good looking body on 5x5 but it's all about eating right and staying lean

Y'all definitely bumped an old thread lol. But I will say 3-4 months of Stronglifts gave me better results in the gym and in the mirror than a year and a half of bro splits did.

I don't think people are realizing that average people don't have nice aesthetics in general and never will no matter what program they're on or what they take. You can't compare a drug free 30 year old that's been lifting for 6 months to a anabolic drug using fitness model/bodybuilder who has absurd genetics and has been training for 15 years.

Are we supposed to believe the reason these folks aren't more aesthetic is because they're not doing enough leg extensions and bicep curls? Really? There are studies out there that suggest most lifters don't benefit from adding isolation work. Unless you're very advanced or using anabolic drugs I personally don't see any reason to not stick to low volume workouts built around the basics.

Top Bottom