Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5 Stronglifts = Poor body aesthetics?

5x5 is simple but one of the most effective programs around, you are adding 5-10lbs. to each lift per week. That is as good as it is going to get, even considering newbie gains.

I would stick with it, look at the numbers you are projected to be moving by week 12 and use that to motivate you. There is no way you will be able to lift those end program numbers without having had some aesthetic changes.

I was was reading through the stronglifts 5x5 pdf file and I noticed that the vast majority of the people held up as examples for the success of the program don't have aesthetically pleasing bodies. I mean they have gained a lot of strength as shown in their lift records(for example bench press 100kg, deadlift 190kg, squat 140kg). But none of them would get on the cover of a fitness magazine. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this because of the use of only low reps in the program or because their body fat percentages just aren't low enough?

Body composition has nothing to do with exercises. Diet and cardio determines how lean you will be.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

5x5 is for strength not bodybuilding..
You want a bodybuilder body, you train like a bodybuilder, high volume 8-12 reps is bodybuilding, anything below 5 reps is strength.. Also diet plays a role in how you look..

Yeah but what about someone like Cristiano Ronaldo who looks both ripped and strong. He obviously isn't on steroids due to the fact he get drug tested every week. It's just that I have started this 5x5 workout and I'm in my 5th week and haven't noticed any physical difference. And when I look at the pictures of people who have been following the program for 2 years and yet look pretty much as they did before (just a little slimmer) it doesn't fill me full of confidence. I have two months from today to get into shape before I head away for the summer. Do you think I'd be better off doing a more intense routine to see quicker results?

I have designed this routine inspired by a science journal I read called "A Comparison of Linear and Daily Undulating Periodized Programs with Equated Volume and Intensity for Strength". It concluded that varying rep range during the week lead to more rapid muscle gains compared to doing the same rep range every workout (e.g. 5x5 stronglifts).

Monday
A 3x15 Barbell squat
B1 3x15 Single leg standing dumbbell calf raise
B2 3x15 Barbell bent knee deadlift
C1 3x15 Dumbbell jump squats
C2 3x15 Crunch

Wednesday
A1 5x5 Incline dumbbell bench press
A2 5x5 Barbell row
A3 5x5 Standing triceps extension
A4 5x5 Barbell shoulder press
A5 5x5 Standard grip dumbbell curls

Friday
A 3x10 Barbell squat
B1 3x10 Single leg bent knee calf raise
B2 3x10 Sumo deadlift
C1 3x10 Dumbbell jump squats
C2 3x15 Leg lowering – reverse crunch

Saturday
A1 3x15 Flat bench press
A2 3x15 Barbell row
A3 3x15 Standing triceps extension
A4 3x15 Barbell shoulder press
A5 3x15 Standard grip dumbbell curls

The rep ranges in the program will be changed every 8 weeks. So instead of 5x5, 3x10, 3x15, 5x5 the routine will be 3x10, 3x15, 5x5, 3x10, and then after 8 weeks of that it will change to 3x15, 5x5, 3x10, 3x15. I think that changing the rep ranges every 8 weeks will enable the body to continue to progress by changing the focus between slow twitch, fast twitch and "medium twitch" muscle fibres.

All soccer pros are on steroids, and if you believe otherwise then you're naive. They're not strict on steroid testing because you can't reach a pro level in sport without anabolic steroids.

Read around. All those pro athletes wouldnt be able to make it to that level without perfomance enhancers.

5x5 is for strength not bodybuilding..
You want a bodybuilder body, you train like a bodybuilder, high volume 8-12 reps is bodybuilding, anything below 5 reps is strength.. Also diet plays a role in how you look..

Ok I basically agree with the above BUT
you must have a strong foundation to get the good out of high volume with lower weights. Without the kind of strength that the SL 5x5 can and will produce your just gonna be spinning your wheels if you start out with high volume low weight programs.

you must have a strong foundation to get the good out of high volume with lower weights. Without the kind of strength that the SL 5x5 can and will produce your just gonna be spinning your wheels if you start out with high volume low weight programs.

^^^this!
Must build the foundation before putting up walls and this is where 5x5 shines.

Agreed my man.. i guess you misunderstood me, or i was an idiot and dint explain properly..

I never said curling 30lb dbells for 12 reps will get you 20" arms.. You definatly have to be strong in order high vloume to work for you.. If you're a begginner lifting less than a year, you damn right need to do strength training to get big, but if you been training for 2+ years, have the strength and know your body, then high volume is needed for a bodybuilder..

Cheers guys. I'll stick with it but I'm going to add a tricep exercise (3x10) to the deadlift day to hopefully speed up the process.

Something likea this...

Workout A
5x5 Barbell squat
5x5 Flat bench press
5x5 Barbell row
3x12 Calf raises
3x15 Reverse crunch

Workout B
5x5 Squat
5x5 Overhead barbell press
1x5 Bent knee deadlift
3x10 Standing tricep extensions