Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5 question for MADCOW

c gheller

Im doing the 5x5 routine you wrote about in Meso. It is going very well. The question i have is in the volume phase which i have just completed, i was increasing the weight on the Friday and doing the same weight on Monday and another increase on the following Friday and so on, increasing it week to week so far. I think i may have got this wrong Did I? Am i supposed to increase the weight on the Monday, 20% less on Wed and the same weght as Mon on Fri? And do this week to week. Is this correct? Also when you say you go for records on Week 4-5 is this on the Monday workout and what should the weight increase be like. I was under the impression you were supposed to increase weekly. My weight increases are only a few pounds each week is this ok?
Sorry about the lengthy post...so much to ask. HELP MUCH APPRECIATED.

Yeah the lifts, with the exception of the wednesday squat which is based off of your monday 5x5 weight, are increased independently and on a weekly basis. Thinking about the final weeks and using the squat as an example. You have to set a 5x5 record on Monday and a 1x5 record on Friday. What you can use for your best 5x5 is significantly less than your best single set of 5, 1x5 (granted you are pyramiding to maintain total volume of 5x5 but the record is only 1 set vs. the 5x5 which is all sets with a set working weight). This applies to all lifts with a 5x5(3x3) and a 1x5(1x3) pattern and to all weeks.

As far as setting the weights, if a few pounds a week gets you to your record lifts - you either have very light records (like the bar) or you would be burried if you set your weights correctly for the records. For volume I set records in weeks 3/4. The first week is modest, 2nd week is ramped up to get me within range where I can make a jump, and the record week should be that - a record (or bettering most current condition). Try to better it the next week in week 4.

Ok so you up the weight week by week. On record days....the 1x5 day which is Friday, right..you up the weight significantly, then return to your 5x5 weight on Monday?

You set yourself a new, higher 5x5 weight for the Monday squat. The 5x5 and the 1x5 days are independent of each other and you should be aiming to increase the weight on each every week except week 5 which is the switchover to 3s rather than 5s.

Blut Wump said:
You set yourself a new, higher 5x5 weight for the Monday squat. The 5x5 and the 1x5 days are independent of each other and you should be aiming to increase the weight on each every week except week 5 which is the switchover to 3s rather than 5s.
Dead on, thanks.

So records for the loading phase are in weeks 3 and 4 while in the deloading/intensity phase are weeks 8/9. You can scale the weights up any way you want so long as you are attempting to at least equal or ideally better your previous best in each lift on the record days. I tend to start people fairly modest in week 1 unless they're acclimated to the training from a previous cycle. This stuff gets a lot easier after you run it through once. First, you'll know your previous records. Second, you'll have a better idea about your tolerances to loading and your ability to set records in a loading phase. Obviously it would be best if you could reasonably peg all of this upfront and elimintate any inefficiency from the try but the people that can do this, are already training with similar programs and don't need my assistance.

All that said, this program is really effective - you'll still get very solid results by the time you are finished with your first run and ready for another go through, which I highly suggest and you can jump right back into week 1 of 5x5. It would be a pretty shitty program if you had to hit everything 100% to get a good share of the results.

Madcow2 said:
Dead on, thanks.

So records for the loading phase are in weeks 3 and 4 while in the deloading/intensity phase are weeks 8/9. You can scale the weights up any way you want so long as you are attempting to at least equal or ideally better your previous best in each lift on the record days. I tend to start people fairly modest in week 1 unless they're acclimated to the training from a previous cycle. This stuff gets a lot easier after you run it through once. First, you'll know your previous records. Second, you'll have a better idea about your tolerances to loading and your ability to set records in a loading phase. Obviously it would be best if you could reasonably peg all of this upfront and elimintate any inefficiency from the try but the people that can do this, are already training with similar programs and don't need my assistance.

All that said, this program is really effective - you'll still get very solid results by the time you are finished with your first run and ready for another go through, which I highly suggest and you can jump right back into week 1 of 5x5. It would be a pretty shitty program if you had to hit everything 100% to get a good share of the results.

Can you point me in the direction of some detailed instructions on how to follow this program. I am interested in it as I have heard a lot of good things but I have never fully understood it.

LeanforLife said:
Can you point me in the direction of some detailed instructions on how to follow this program. I am interested in it as I have heard a lot of good things but I have never fully understood it.
Thank God for a platinum membership. If you search my username and this forum you'll get a ton on it.

These threads contain a good amount of info on it and general training theory that applies to it. In a lot of these threads are multiple other links that are pertinent (mainly the reason why I used them). The first one is an example it is compiled for a BBer from the first 2 topics covered in the 2nd link which covers a variety of topics and is excellent reading from one of the finer strength and conditioning coaches in the world.

So give these a read, check out the links therein and that should get you started. Post if you have questions.

http://www.fortifiediron.net/invision/index.php?showtopic=3989&st=0&p=69541&#entry69541
http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/showthread.php?t=12
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371821
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=371821
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4361413&postcount=4
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364685

Top Bottom