Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5 question for MADCOW

You can but I'd really encourage you to choose not sub anything in this program. The Wed workout is meant to hit the shoulders more so incline is the usual sub for military if someone wants to be creative (and the military is standing military). Dips are 100% in the other direction. You should really run it as is the first time, I don't know how your strength balances out but you might find yourself overtaxed with the flat bench and dips.

Hey madcow2 or anyone that knows.

I'm just starting week 3 of the volume phase and I already know that I'll get my weights and reps because I've done the weight before using a similar rep range (6x4). I'll be setting rep pr's on all my lifts this week, but not weight pr's. Knowing this, when I hit week 4 I'll up the weights 5lbs on all lifts and attempt to get all my reps and sets. These would be totally new weight and rep pr's for me.

I already get this. What I'm not sure about is what if I can't make all the reps on my sets in week 4? Do I extend the volume phase another week and try to get them again or don;t extend another week? If I succeed in getting all my reps in week 5, then I understand what to do. If I'm supposed to try the weigts again in week 5 after possibly missing week 4 and still don't get all the reps again, then what do I do?

Now if I don't get all my reps in week 4, and I'm not supposed to try again in week 5, do I just stay at the week 3 weights as I go into my first deloading week, or stay at the missed weights in week 4 because I'll likely be able to get the reps with those weights using 3x3. If this is the case I understand how to proceed from here.

BUT, how does that affect my next cycle planning? Do I aim to hit my weight and rep goals in week 4 like the previous cycle I missed, or week 3 and if I get them then, try for new weights in week 4?

Pretty small details questions mainly aimed at what to do if you miss weights and how that affects the rest of the cycle as well as the next cycle to come.

GhettoStudMuffin said:
Pretty small details questions mainly aimed at what to do if you miss weights and how that affects the rest of the cycle as well as the next cycle to come.

Actually it's a hugely pertinent question especially given that record attempts can result in failure. I wish they allowed editing posts beyond a day or so back.

Anyway - if you fail on a given attempt just keep it the same for the next week. You should never extend the volume phase beyond the 2 record weeks (a novice lifter might start a lot lighter and take 6 weeks to build up but the 2 final weeks are what is really pushing the body so it should not be extended in any case).

So I take it from what you're saying is if you miss the weights in week 4, keep the weights the same for week 5 of deloading and go on about your cycle, right?

What about planning the next cycle? Do you aim to hit the weights you missed in week 4 of the previous cycle during week 3 or 4 of the current?

Thanks for the help.

1) Keep them the same providing you didn't make some massive anomalous jump or failed miserably.

2) Depends on how achievable it was. Assuming you made a reasonable incremental jump and missed it a bit then it should serve as a good week 3/4 record. If you missed by a mile. Maybe shoot for something more conservative on week 3 to see if you have any chance at all at it for week 4.

NOW that's what I wanted to know. I think now I have a 100% grasp of it now.

I'm pretty confident I'll make my weights and reps in week 4, it's just gonna be a HARD week, but that's the point. If I didn't quite get all my reps it most likely would only be a rep here and there. nothing massive. Everything's right on track so far.

That really helps with the what if's.

Sounds good - I kind of realized that I hadn't been very clear on the missing with regards to the records. Kind of a brain fart since that's a pretty obvious question.

You sound like you have this fairly well dialed in. My only suggestion for next time would be that you shoot for week 3 being the week that you are decently confident about and week 4 being a stretch above that. It's hard to be that precise your first time through and it's far better to error conservatively than start too high and blow the whole thing but you pegged it really well this time so any improvement next time will bring you pretty much to dead center on the target.

Thanks bro.

Ya, next cycle will be dead on for sure as this cycle is already pretty damn close.

A few things I have noticed is I underestimated my 1x5 squat weights being only a 5lbs difference whereas next cycle I think 10lbs will be about right. Only a 5lbs difference between my 5x5 and 1x5 bench, but that's what feels right for me.

I was pretty confident going in as I had done several months of 10x3, 6x4 and 5x5 as well as 6 singles at 90% training and knew my maxes. I took your advice and played the weights pretty conservative. This week is gonna be hard, but doable. Next week (week 4) is gonna be very hard, but I have a good feeling about it.

Question for MadCow...

I'm planning to go for this 5X5 training program.... but instead of working 3 days a week... I plan to workout 5 days a week....
Could you please let me know how shall my schedule look like for 5 days and how can I modify the traditional 3 day workout for 5 days...

thanks...

Top Bottom