Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5 + Hypertrophy

fatcoow

I am usually a 5x5 guy. In the last few months all my lifts have gone up and after being reamed by some of the guys here my squat has gone from 230 to 270 in a few weeks.

I am starting an Anavar/Proviron/Rs Transderm cycle tomorrow and am wondering if I can add a little hypertrophy work to my training. To be quite honest, I stick to 5x5 because it works for me and whenever I ask about hypertrophy I get varied responses that mostly consist of people telling me " WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE TRAINING ON CYCLE"...

I am just trying to make use of the faster recovery and anabolic nature of the aas rather than expecting to look like Kai or Ronnie Coleman overnight.

There is a small caveat to my training, as of now, since I am in the process of moving my boxing gym I only have access and time to train with a power rack and kettlebells ( which I use as dumb bells up to 60 lbs ) .

If someone could just tell me if there is a way to switch my training to hypertrophy specific training with the equipment I have that would be great. I know I can do more reps/sets but some programs require machines etc. I would pay someone here to design a program for me ( Dylan Gemelli comes to mind, his training seems spot on ) but to be quite honest I am not able to right now. If anyone wants to help me design a program for free that would be amazing or at least point me in the right direction.

I am aware of DG training, german volume training, HIT, PHAT and really just don't know how to switch from strength training. The concept of hypertrophy training is foreign to me. Do I train till exhaustion, do I not? The only thing I have used before to grow size wise is the "ten sets method" which works for me but at this point I'm not sure.

Anyway, I hope this is cause for senseless flaming because that tends to happen to me as of late.

Thanks again and I hope to have a program nailed down within the next 8 hours so I can start tomorrow morning!

I am usually a 5x5 guy. In the last few months all my lifts have gone up and after being reamed by some of the guys here my squat has gone from 230 to 270 in a few weeks.

I am starting an Anavar/Proviron/Rs Transderm cycle tomorrow and am wondering if I can add a little hypertrophy work to my training. To be quite honest, I stick to 5x5 because it works for me and whenever I ask about hypertrophy I get varied responses that mostly consist of people telling me " WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE TRAINING ON CYCLE"...

I am just trying to make use of the faster recovery and anabolic nature of the aas rather than expecting to look like Kai or Ronnie Coleman overnight.

There is a small caveat to my training, as of now, since I am in the process of moving my boxing gym I only have access and time to train with a power rack and kettlebells ( which I use as dumb bells up to 60 lbs ) .

If someone could just tell me if there is a way to switch my training to hypertrophy specific training with the equipment I have that would be great. I know I can do more reps/sets but some programs require machines etc. I would pay someone here to design a program for me ( Dylan Gemelli comes to mind, his training seems spot on ) but to be quite honest I am not able to right now. If anyone wants to help me design a program for free that would be amazing or at least point me in the right direction.

I am aware of DG training, german volume training, HIT, PHAT and really just don't know how to switch from strength training. The concept of hypertrophy training is foreign to me. Do I train till exhaustion, do I not? The only thing I have used before to grow size wise is the "ten sets method" which works for me but at this point I'm not sure.

Anyway, I hope this is cause for senseless flaming because that tends to happen to me as of late.

Thanks again and I hope to have a program nailed down within the next 8 hours so I can start tomorrow morning!

You could try adding assistance work to your 5x5 or try Jim wendlers 5/3/1 programme........it still a strength training base on your 4 core.lifts but you add in assistance work for hypertrophy on every workout.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EliteFitness

Thanks for your input. I've had people suggest Wendler's program to me as well, and I don't quite understand why they suggest it? I am only interested in hypertrophy. I'd rather bench 20 lbs and look huge than bench 260 for two reps which is what I max out at now.

I am doing this purely for aesthetic purposes.

Wendlers is actually a great program as it allows you to train heavy but also choose your assistance work. Check out the website man, you can do hard and heavy and then hypertrophy after,
It works great in my opinion.. I am also a 5x5 guy at heart .

A little more information on you and your training at present would be helpful here.
1. More specifics on how you have trained in the past and what you are doing now.
2. Are you a boxer? How does the boxing fit into your training regimen? Also, how much cardio do you do in general?
3. What is your diet?
4. What are your current stats? How old are you? Also, what do you know about your genetic predisposition for body type and metabolism? If you are not sure, how much did you weigh when you graduated high school; what do you weigh now and how has your body changed (if at all)?

Without knowing more about you, it is pretty hard to give advice.

The part in bold is the delima here. Ronnie Coleman was basically a power lifter. Kai Greene trains 180 degrees in the opposite direction. I tend to agree with the Ronnie Coleman approach that the weight induces a CNS stimulus that lighter weights can't generate and focusing on more compound movements are probably better for building mass anyway. If your comment about "hypertrophy specific training" is not specifically HST Hypertrophy-Specific Nutrition™, you can check into Kai Greene's training. He's a heavy isolation type guy.

Hey sorry i just noticed you want to start a cycle and a new training regime on the same day? If you are doing something completely different to your staple 5x5 i.e. A conventional 4or5day or push/pull split i personally think that is a bad idea.

I would say you need to give yourself at least 6-8wks if not longer on the new routine to get acclimatised and to make progress naturally before u start on a cycle. You will get more from your cycle doing this.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EliteFitness

Top Bottom