Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5 Bench Press Performance Issue

d_singler

Hello – I’ve been a long time reader of this board, and have always appreciated the valuable information shared here. I’m hoping to get some feedback on some issues I’ve been having with my routine.

I’ve been using a version of the Bill Starr 5x5. I’ll post my routine below:

Monday

Squats 5x5

Bench 1x5

Rows 1x5

Abs

Wednesday

Squats 5x5 (Light day 75-80% of Monday)

Deadlift 5x5

Incline Bench 5x5

Pull ups 5x5

Abs

Friday

Squats 1x5

Bench 5x5

Rows 5x5

Abs

Cardio – 4/5 days per week, 30 mins on lifting days, 60 mins on off days.

I typically take a week off about every 3 months.

Recently I’ve been having issues with my bench performance. I’ve been using the same weight on Monday (the 1x5) for the past month – I’ve made the reps twice, and made only 4 reps the other two weeks. Last week I missed my Friday reps as well (5x5).

I would usually think that this would be overtraining, but I haven’t had any issues with increasing my squats, deads, rows, or pull ups. The only lifts that are stagnating are my bench weights. Is it possible that I’m only overtraining my upper body? One change I’m considering is to back off on the weight on my incline day (sort of like the light squat day).

What do you guys think?

Your other lifts are going up, so you're probably not overtraining. If your bench was your strongest lift before you started, it'll go up the slowest. That's the way it's worked for me.

It might help if you do standing shoulder presses instead of inclines on Wednesdays and add weighted dips to the Friday workout. My bench doesn't increase unless my rows, dips, and shoulder presses increase first. I really like shoulder presses and dips. I do those twice a week, and I bench once a week.

In general, I've found that it helps to focus more on your weaker lifts to get better at your stronger lifts.

+1 on shoulder presses and dips.

Also try backing off the weight a little and increaseing the reps to 8 or 10. Try increasing the weight 5lbs every week for three weeks. After three weeks go back to the 5x5. This has worked well for me in the past.

I’m failing at the bottom of the lift – the point at which my upper arms are parallel with the floor. If I can get the weight moving off the bottom I very very rarely fail to complete the rep.

d_singler said:
I’m failing at the bottom of the lift – the point at which my upper arms are parallel with the floor. If I can get the weight moving off the bottom I very very rarely fail to complete the rep.

if your problem is 0-3 inches off your chest, you need strengthen your lats

Top Bottom