Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5x5 with assistance for PCT

the.gladiator1987

Platinum
Hey guys, so I had a real nice cycle as far as strength and size. I went from 179 (was out of it for a good 6 months) to 210. Strength gains were crazy. My cycle ends in 7 days :( Anyway I love the 5x5 style of training. But I need more assistance to help keep the size. I hardy did any assistance on this cycle anyway because I didnt really need to. But Now i want to. So heres my routine I was thinking of trying for PCT

Monday:
Squat - 1x5
Bench - 1x5
BB Rows - 1x5
1-arm reverse pulldowns - 4x12
dips - 4x12

Tuesday:
1 mile run

Wednesday:
Squats - Light
Deads - 1x5
BTN Military - 1x5
Pullups - 50 reps
Back - ??????
DB Military - 4x10

Thursday:
OFF
Friday:
Squats - 1x3 HEAVY, 1x10 backoff set, 1x20 backoff set
Bench - same as above
BB Rows - 10x3
Weighted Dips - 4x6
Biceps - ????

Saturday and Sunday - OFF

My #1 GOAL is to preserve as much strength as i can. The secondary goal is to keep the size with added assistance work, but I know that Im gonna need to up mycals during PCT in order to achieve this along with the assistance work. And btw, I know I wont overtrain. I know my body and I know I can handle the 5x5 with extra assistance. I just have never concentrated on assistance work because I always train for strength. So, these are the question I need answered:

1) Since my #1 goal is stregth, should I do a 5x3 style training instead of 5x5?

2) I need a good exercise for Back on wednesday? And for biceps on friday....how many sets/reps? Those are lagging parts I am trying to bring up.The problem with back is I never feel it during a workout...havent gotten the mind muscle connection with my back, its always my biceps that feel it.

Sorry for the long post, just wanna get some good info on what i should do. thanks guys

Hey bro how is that 10x3 working for you on rows? If it is improving you there then for biceps I would suggest 10x3 weighted chins and for your back maybe 10x3 rack pulls?
Shit bro since youre all about strength how about a whole program of 10x3? Like this,
Week1-3
3 sets of 10 reps.
Week 4-7
5 sets of 5 reps.
Week 8-?
10 sets of 3 reps.
This time frame would be nothing but the big money compound lifts, NO isolation at all.
Am thinking A day B day less is more type program here.
Thoughts bros?

I think you have the right idea man. I do a modified 5x5 where I'll do 3 warm up sets and then my max at 3 reps and then a backoff set of no more than 8-10. If you recover well go for the extra reps, but if you are REALLY lifting heavy you should watch your volume as recovery is better. This may be my opinion and only work for me but just some advice.

Oh and progression is a good thing to have while training strength. Even as little as adding 5lbs every other week.

Thanks homie. i actually havent been doing the 10x3 for rows because lower back pumps from the AAS, lol.

I DO like that idea, 3x10, 5x5, then 10x3. That might give me a good break for my joints, but for those 3 weeks is my strength gonna suffer a lot since im doing 10 reps?

Hey bro how is that 10x3 working for you on rows? If it is improving you there then for biceps I would suggest 10x3 weighted chins and for your back maybe 10x3 rack pulls?
Shit bro since youre all about strength how about a whole program of 10x3? Like this,
Week1-3
3 sets of 10 reps.
Week 4-7
5 sets of 5 reps.
Week 8-?
10 sets of 3 reps.
This time frame would be nothing but the big money compound lifts, NO isolation at all.
Am thinking A day B day less is more type program here.
Thoughts bros?

I think you have the right idea man. I do a modified 5x5 where I'll do 3 warm up sets and then my max at 3 reps and then a backoff set of no more than 8-10. If you recover well go for the extra reps, but if you are REALLY lifting heavy you should watch your volume as recovery is better. This may be my opinion and only work for me but just some advice.

Oh and progression is a good thing to have while training strength. Even as little as adding 5lbs every other week.

Nice bro, so do you like the 3 rep max to failure better than 5 reps? as far as strength goes?

I jus dont want my 385 bench to go down to 335

I feel I can lift a lot more with the 3 rep max than 5. By "warm up sets" I didn't mean anything light. The set right before my 3 rep max is pretty heavy, maybe 20lbs lighter... Your bench won't go down 50lbs man or much at all if you are still benching heavy. What are you lifting for weight on your 5x5 bench?

I feel I can lift a lot more with the 3 rep max than 5. By "warm up sets" I didn't mean anything light. The set right before my 3 rep max is pretty heavy, maybe 20lbs lighter... Your bench won't go down 50lbs man or much at all if you are still benching heavy. What are you lifting for weight on your 5x5 bench?

Yea Im thinking 3reps during PCT would be the way to go, i dont wanna lose strength. I know my body and im better at a maximal load rather than more reps. I burn out quick lol

When you say 5x5 do you mean 5 sets of 5 of the same weight, or a top set of 5? I can do 315x8, so im not sure what i can do for 5. Probably 335.

For me, when I do I 5 set at the same wieght. Usually I miss the the 5th rep on the 4th and 5th sets. Which is ok for me. That means I am loading just right.
I really dont think your bench will go down bro. I would be surprized if it didnt at least stay the same.

You gonna have to pic your excersizes carefully as that 10 x 3 is gonna bust ass on your CNS bro. Use the lifts where you can lift the most Lbs. Even during your PCT you may see strength increases.

For me, when I do I 5 set at the same wieght. Usually I miss the the 5th rep on the 4th and 5th sets. Which is ok for me. That means I am loading just right.
I really dont think your bench will go down bro. I would be surprized if it didnt at least stay the same.

Yea, you know i think the reason it went down last time is because A) i got sick right after pct, and B) i only did 1 top set, once a week. I dont think i consolidated it. I think if i do a 5x5 with semi heavy weight then it shouldnt go down, my body will get more used to it.

Also i think ima do 5x5 for most my lifts, 10x3 sounds good but i think the higher volume with the 5x5 will get the job done.

I like the idea of maybe 5x5 weeks 1-3, 10x3 weeks 4-6, and testing out new maxes on week 7, then on week 8 maybe taking a deload, then on week 9 starting a 5x5 again with my new maxes?

Top Bottom