Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5 X 5 Training Method

guldukat said:
Let me be sure I understand this:

If you're benching 225 for an 8 RM, you start with around 195 for 5x5.

Okay, so would it be accurate to say that, at the first of a training cycle, you simply take your 8RM, cut it by around 13%, and start your 5x5ing? Would that percentage hold roughly true for all exercises, like deads, squats and other real heavy stuff?

Also, when you peak at a given weight w/ 5x5, right before you switch over to 5x3, how many reps might one get out of their 5x5 weight if they just went all-out in one set?

I dont really have a set formula for how much I drop the weight to start. Generally I want it to take at least 4 weeks to get back to my last working weight.
As for the 2nd question, i have never tried, but my guess would be around 8 reps

needsize said:

I dont really have a set formula for how much I drop the weight to start. Generally I want it to take at least 4 weeks to get back to my last working weight.
As for the 2nd question, i have never tried, but my guess would be around 8 reps

I gotcha.

The thing is, I'm considering a 5x5 for a change of pace. It's obviously an effective routine *looks at your avatar ;)*, and I'm getting bored with what I'm doing.

Since it's been so long that I've done something similar, though, I wasn't sure where to start. I'm so used to doing one max work set, usually with rest-pauses afterwards.

EDIT: Maybe an example would help. I know this is hard to nail down.

I like the Hammer Iso-Incline. I think my previous best on it was 320x8.

If I was to use it for my 5x5, should I only drop 25-30 lbs. to start? Going up 5 lbs. a week, that'd have me back to an 8RM in 5-6 weeks.

Could a long-time low volume guy like me probably handle that? :) How many weeks should go by before that last set is hitting failure?

Last edited:
guldukat, going by your example that should work. Generally somewhere around a month you want to be back to your old working weight, but by then it should feela whole lot easier. I've been thinking about the 5x5 lately, and there are some variations that would likely work well for the lower volume guys. For example, it could be done 3 sets of 5 instead of 5 sets. For the accessory stuff, instead of 2 exercises and 2 sets each, you could do only one set of each exercise.
The key really is progression on the compound movements (as well as the other ones when you can get it)
There really is no set time when you'll start hitting failure, I've managed to progress for months, but I've also hit the wall in 6 weeks

Needsize

Needsize, whats the best way to make the transition from the 5*5 to the 5*3 on this programme?? Do you just keep adding weight and move up??

Karma to you for your help :)

Re: Needsize

Assertive Guy said:
Needsize, whats the best way to make the transition from the 5*5 to the 5*3 on this programme?? Do you just keep adding weight and move up??

Karma to you for your help :)

when you plateau, add your 5lbs to the bar for the next workout but do 5x5 instead of 5x5, and keep progressing from there, nothing fancy

ah I C!

I C. So when I cant get any more lbs out of my 5*5, I just go 5*4reps and keep adding weight, and same until I reach 5*3 :D

needsize said:
I've been thinking about the 5x5 lately, and there are some variations that would likely work well for the lower volume guys. For example, it could be done 3 sets of 5 instead of 5 sets. For the accessory stuff, instead of 2 exercises and 2 sets each, you could do only one set of each exercise.
The key really is progression on the compound movements (as well as the other ones when you can get it)
There really is no set time when you'll start hitting failure, I've managed to progress for months, but I've also hit the wall in 6 weeks

I understand :) Thanks, man. Good thoughts.

Actually needsize, as a low volume guy, I can offer another alternative. I'm actually doing this right now too :)

Simply keep the progression ideas (what I'm doing, not increasing weight until are sets of 5 are complete) and drop the accessory exercises, and rotate the exercises each workout ala DC training. At first I was doing AM/PM, but this quickly failed to work simply because my job often has night shifts, so it's nearly impossible. Anyway let me clarify my idea with an example:

Workout A

Hammer chest press - 4 x 5
Overhead lockouts - 2 x 5
Hammer row - 4 x 5
Curl - 2 x 5
Squat - 3 x 5
Romanian/SL deadlift - 3 x 5

Workout B

Hammer incline press - 4 x 5
Overhead press - 2 x 5
Pulldown/chin - 4 x 5
Reverse curl - 2 x 5
Sumo Deadlift - 5 x 5

Obviously you can take a lot of liberty with this idea, but you get the point. What I listed is pretty similar to what I'm going to give a shot.

Top Bottom