Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5 X 5 Training Method

Length

How long should the rest between the sets of 5*5 and 2*8 be?? Is a minute about right, or is that too short??

I was thinking about trying this but my delima is that I am not sure my joints could handle it. I mean I do 225 behind neck press for 20-25 reps. What would I do for 5? sounds like an injury to me. should have done it when I was yuonger and less broken.

Quad

Last edited:
Quadsweep said:
I was thinking about trying this but my delima is that I am not sure my joints could handle it. I mean I do 225 behind neck press for 20-25 reps. What would I do for 5? sounds like an injury to me. should have done it when I was yuonger and less brocken.

Quad

if you have any joint problems then it might not be a good idea. You'd likely end up around 3 plates or more for reps, which could be killer. I got up to 5x5 on 255lbs on military, and thats when my rotator cuff blew. It did do wonders for my squat, bench and deadlift though

5*5

I began the 5*5 last week, and I started 15lbs heavier than I normally lift, just because I knew I could. I didnt realise starting light was the goal. Should I down the weight by 30lbs this week, and start over? It will seem so easy when I easily hit the 5*5 on those weights last week. Any advice?

Re: Who is that?

Assertive Guy said:
Is that pic on the top left of your posts you?? If it is, your f*cking huge!!!

if you mean the pic in my post, yup, thats me. The one in quadsweeps pic is him as well

As for your other question, I would definitely say drop the weight. You'll grow off this program because you are constantly adding weight, not because of how much is actually on the bar. But if you start too heavy then you cant keep adding

Elaborate a little

Hey guys, my old training regimine is coming to a stop this Sunday and am looking to start a new program. I was thinking of giving this a try. I do have a few questions though, just want to go into more detail if you can fill in the gaps.

I am trying to write this out so I have it. maybe we could draw up a draft example for folks here of a full 5x5 program in detail.

Frequency:
?? Is this every day, every other day?

Intensity:
5 reps first portion, (approx. 85-95% of 1RM), 5 sets,
followed by 4 reps for the second portion 8-10 sets.

Rest:
2.5 minutes rest (2-3 seconds eccentric phase, explosive concentric phase?).

Mode:
Compound movements that enable heavy lifting for the 5x5. Isolation movments for the last 4 sets.
Pyramid up the load each day by appox. 5 lbs.

Qs??
1. What is your split like for this type of program? 1 bodypart, 2, more??
2. What is recommended for warm-up??
3. What about stretching? Do you incorporate it in during, after???
4. Do you do 5x5 for every body part? i.e. Same number of sets for both chest and bis? or do you adapt this to the size of the muscle group?

Mostly curious how many body parts you work each one and the frequency you train at. I am coming from a supersetting style of training now, so this will be a shock to my muscles and should really up my strength. If someone could correct anything that I have wrong here and fill in the gaps, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers bros,
Mavy

needsize said:

if you have any joint problems then it might not be a good idea. You'd likely end up around 3 plates or more for reps, which could be killer. I got up to 5x5 on 255lbs on military, and thats when my rotator cuff blew. It did do wonders for my squat, bench and deadlift though
Yes thats what I was thinking. Hell maybe after this Looooonnngg lay off???.....

Quad

Let me be sure I understand this:

If you're benching 225 for an 8 RM, you start with around 195 for 5x5.

Okay, so would it be accurate to say that, at the first of a training cycle, you simply take your 8RM, cut it by around 13%, and start your 5x5ing? Would that percentage hold roughly true for all exercises, like deads, squats and other real heavy stuff?

Also, when you peak at a given weight w/ 5x5, right before you switch over to 5x3, how many reps might one get out of their 5x5 weight if they just went all-out in one set?

Top Bottom