Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5 X 5 Training Method

i have a lower back problem and have to be careful with some excercice (deadlifts and squat especially).
what alternative excercices would u suggest for back and legs?
thanks

El, I've never heard of a "cruising" type period on 5x5, but I don't see why it would hurt any. How many weeks have you been on it? It may be a good idea to stop entirely for a week or two, and come back to it. You'll surely decondition the muscle enough and when you begin anew, tear shit up.

I have a question of my own. When you start, you know how you're supposed to begin a month behind? Like Lavi said, 20 lbs. under (assuming 5 lb. incretments) a weight you can handle for 1x8? Well, during that time, is it imperative that you still eat big, or can you conserve some of your food and eat moderately, since during that time, for the most part, gains won't come because the weights are going to be so easy for you. It just feels kind of like a waste to me, to eat so much when the numbers with your lifting are so little (relative to what you can do).

Been on it for around 11 weeks now.
So I may cruise for a week doing standard volume sets at light weight.
As for the eating...I see what you're saying. Eating less would make more sense to me, unless you're bulking I suppose.

question:
5x5 starting weight --> 8rep weight less 1month
i feel like im gonna waste 1 month coz if understood weel after 1 month ill be back to same point! am i stupid or there is something "magic" with it?
thanks

how would you split my routine considering that i want to give priority to legs (and hams especially)? i need an advice, thanks

Started this today, and it sucks heh. I feel like I have done crap today. I read the first week it will feel like you've barely worked out at all, so i hope come these next few weeks it will get more intense. Today was cake tho.

I did
5x5 db bench
2x8 db incline
2x8 cable chest thing (not sure what its called :p )
2x8 pec dec

had to add one more 2x8 just to feel somewhat satisfied with the workout ;)

If you had worked hard enough, you wouldn't feel the need to do another exercise whatnot51.
When I've finished my two 2X8's I can barely heave myself out of the gym.
Up the intensity!

What does everyone think about doing 5x5 for 3 or 4 compound movements per workout? In other words, instead of 5x5 for a big compound movement, then 2 other exercises, each with 2 sets of 8-10 reps, how about something like this:

Day 1:
BB Bench Press 5x5
DB Military Press 5x5
Close-Grip Bench Press 5x5

Day 2:
Deadlifts 5x5
Bent BB Rows 5x5
Close-Grip Underhand Chins 5x5

I'm a bit of a newbie. Just trying to get some help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Well, you'll probably burn yourself out that way. 5x5 bench, military and closegrip in one day? Nah, no thanks. I don't go for higher volume training anyway, but that wouldn't be adequate. I doubt you could put in enough intensity after 10 sets of exercises that the triceps assist in.

People have brought this idea up before. You could give it a try, but I think you'd burn out too quick. Maybe not, though. Give it a shot if you really want to, but I'd suggest sticking to the suggested routine. It's tried and true. It works. That's all you need. Unless you're out to find a new method.

Top Bottom