Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

5 best upper STRENGTH movements/exercises

40butpumpin

Anyone? I'm going to buy Poliquins (sorry if I didn't spell that correctly) books, but in the mean time if someone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

I'm not sure what he says, but I'd say that the five best are, in no particular order:

1) Squats
2)Bench
3) Deadlifts(Real deadlifts not the stiff-legged variety)
4) Powercleans
5) Barbell rows

upper as in Upper body?

if so:

one arm/sholder standing press,
bench press,
side press,
bent over row,
cuban press (or rotation what ever you like to call it)

Oops, I missed the upper body part. Well, then I change squats to behind the neck press. I still keep deadlifts in the list, though. I realize that there is a significant amount of legs involved, but there's still a shitload of upper body being used. The same goes for the powercleans. Of course, to eliminate the legs you could just change it to hang cleans.

Best Exericses For The Upper Body

1. Bench Presses
2. Shoulder Presses (not behind the neck)
3. Rows (bent-over, Hammer Strength)
4. Barbell Shrugs
5. Pulldowns/Weighted Chins

I've come up with 5 good exercises. I don't recommend behind the neck presses, behind the neck pulldowns, behind the neck chins....etc
I'm not saying they don't produce any muscle growth. The concern is injury.
A lot of people that perform them do gain great off of them, but many of them that have been doing it for years have developed rotator cuff injuries. There are other ways to work the muscles that behind the neck exercises stimulate.

1. Hang Snatch
2. Hang Clean
3. Bench Press
4. Wide Pull-up
5. Military Press

Kinda partial to the Olympic movements

Great stuff! Thanks, brothers. As a follow-up:

endpoint, a one arm/sholder standing press, is this like pressing a dumbell straight up over my head one arm at a time? Also, could you describe the side press and cuban press please?

Grizzley, is a powerclean a simple clean? Could you please describe this.

Redman2919, can you describe the hang snatch and hang clean please.

Thanks again!

(1) bench press
(2) wide grip overhand chin
(3) military press
(4) deadlift
(5) barbell rowing movements, or some olympic lifts like clean

40butpumpin said:
Grizzley, is a powerclean a simple clean? Could you please describe this.

Depends upon your definition of a clean. Techinically "clean" is short for powerclean. What I mean by clean/powerclean is to place the bar on the floor, bend down, grip it, explode up with it and then upright row it high enough until you can get your elbows underneath. I don't know if that's the best explanation, but we all know what a clean is. A hang clean, on the other hand, is simply a clean in which the starting point it the bar being held at arms lenght in front of your body. No leg involvement.

Top Bottom