Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

3 Sets 12 reps

opioxoipo

For most of my workouts, each exercise involves me doing the 1st set with 12 reps, the next with 10 reps, and the last with 8. I rest about 60 seconds after I complete 1 set.
My goal is to gain muscle mass.
My questions, should I do more or less reps? Should I do more or less sets?

And I want to know If I should do more or less sets for each muscle group.
For my Back I do 12 sets.
Chest 12
Biceps 9
Triceps 9
Quads 12
Hamstrings 6
Shoulders 9 (3 for each front, side, rear)
Calves Im currently trying that nelson calve workout.

I know I asked alot, so I'll give karma to anyone who helps.

Do as much as you feel you need to do. Generate enough intensity so the body is given a signal to grow, and it will grow provided you give it nutrition and rest. Try more moderate volume, perhaps. I don't like 1-2 sets for a bodypart because that becomes difficult to generate intensity, but try cutting your sets in half (and round down) so 6 for check/back/quads, 3 for biceps/triceps, 2-3 for hamstrings. Only 3 for shoulders. For mass, you don't need little movements like rear-delt raises. Stick with basic compounds. Military presses and upright rows.

Throw in some rotator cuff work before you even get close to an injury. Keep them strong.

Rest time doesn't matter for gaining mass, from what I've heard through Casual. The only thing I would think is if you waited too long (5 minutes or more) then the next set will almost be completely, eh, absorbed by the CNS. Not sure if I understand it correctly, but the muscle won't get fatigued by taking that long of a rest period. Whether or not that will hinder growth, I don't know. Sorry for rambling.

Anyway, you can rest longer than 60 seconds. Try 120 seconds. You may find your weights moving up a bit quicker and easier.

Oh, if you take my recommendation and drop the volume, try higher frequency coupled with that. So, hit each bodypart 2-3x a week.

when you do that rep/set scheme, are you increasing weight each set? i've done a similar rep scheme. for a few months i ran a workout with 4 sets per exercise, 12, 10, 8, 5 reps per set. the first set was usually pretty light though, more like a warm up. the last 3 sets i'd go nice and slow. the last 2 sets, the last rep of each would be rough as hell, i'd just about hit failure. i liked it.

on my current routine, after i do my compounds (all 5x5), all my other lifts are 3 sets, 10, 8, 5-6 reps, increasing weight each set. the last set, if i can hit 6 reps, then i know the next week i should probably bump my weight up across all those sets (seems i get to bump the weight up at a minimum of every 3 weeks, some exercises almost every week). i just about hit failure on every one of those sets, and always hit failure on the last set (my 5x5s, however, are not done to failure...or at least aren't supposed to be..it happens sometimes).

i give it 1-2 minutes between sets, unless i get distracted or i'm running late and gotta get out of the gym soon. plenty of rest time for me to bump the weight up and do another set to failure.

Top Bottom