Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

2011: Deadlifts, Grip and Presses

I've seen you preaching this SDT training theory and I went to the guys site. Personally I think that brief write-up for Glad is about 10x easier to understand than the article I read.

SDT IMO, looks like an excellent method for progressing when you are at the high-intermediate to beginning-advanced stage of your lifting career.

I can see it's use at any stage of training since it's clearly flexible enough that you don't have to necessarily go up in weight the next week if you don't want to or aren't ready and instead do an extra set=more volume=increased homeostasis disruption or just add reps even if only 1 to the first set.

It actually sounds like a very quality lifting theory to base training off of, but I still think that 5x5 is probably superior for a beginning lifter or beginning to mid-level intermediate since straight single progression with the proper workload at this stage is more than sufficient to produce maximal increases in strength at this point in a lifter's career. That and 5x5 as you hit intermediate level can easily be periodized and teach a trainee the simplest form of periodization.

All that said I will probably use that SDT training in the future at some point as it is very logical and gives the trainee multiple options in how they progress from workout to workout.

I am still working on a solid understanding of periodization in general afer buying the book (Practical Programming) and it's myriad programming possibilities.

To me it appears that SDT can have both a workout to workout periodization as well as 4-5 week or both with the varying workouts and then resetting the volume to base with an increased weight and the rebuilding through the use of single, double or triple progression based on any given workout.

Am I understanding this correctly Andalite?

I've seen you preaching this SDT training theory

Ghetto, firstly thanks for the kind words and secondly: this isn't a "theory". It's just a bunch of principles. It's not a routine and it's not set in stone - and infact, that is the most important aspect of this: It's not set in stone.

SDT IMO, looks like an excellent method for progressing when you are at the high-intermediate to beginning-advanced stage of your lifting career.

Actually, we use SDT for everybody. It's done differently for beginners because learning the movement is much more important than pushing numbers at that stage, but the underlying principle of not just adding weight to the bar but tweaking the other variables while maintaining quality remains consistent.

I can see it's use at any stage of training since it's clearly flexible enough that you don't have to necessarily go up in weight the next week if you don't want to or aren't ready and instead do an extra set=more volume=increased homeostasis disruption or just add reps even if only 1 to the first set.

Exactly. These principles allow you to progress at a level which you are comfortable with. It gets better and better as you get more advanced because you are better able to gauge yourself.

See, over-aggressive lifters will keep trying for Triple Progression and they'll end up needing to come back to the base volume all too often. So they'll need to check their over-aggressiveness and be more gradual because sustainable progression becomes important, right?

Then you have the slooooooow guys who only want to add 1 rep to one set forever. They'll end up spending 10x more time coming back to the base volume AND they won't be all that much stronger either. See the problem? They'll need to become more aggressive - find a middle ground approach.

It actually sounds like a very quality lifting theory to base training off of, but I still think that 5x5 is probably superior for a beginning lifter or beginning to mid-level intermediate since straight single progression with the proper workload at this stage is more than sufficient to produce maximal increases in strength at this point in a lifter's career. That and 5x5 as you hit intermediate level can easily be periodized and teach a trainee the simplest form of periodization.

I know you love 5x5 and you know much I detest it :)

All that said I will probably use that SDT training in the future at some point as it is very logical and gives the trainee multiple options in how they progress from workout to workout.

I'm glad you found it useful, dude. The thing with SDT is that it really is up to you as the trainee. You have options and you can exercise them at your discretion. And you are right: "multiple options" is the important aspect which is why SDT in it's full form is not used for beginners: because they don't know what they are capable of.

For beginners, we use generally just Single or maybe Double progression but it's not always using a heavier weight like 5x5. Weight does have to go up but being a beginner means you have to injury-proof yourself and learn the movement while improving quality. Also, can you imagine how crazy some beginners would go if you told them they can add sets, reps AND weight whenever they feel like it??? :D

I am still working on a solid understanding of periodization in general afer buying the book (Practical Programming) and it's myriad programming possibilities.

Don't restrict yourself to just PP. If you want to know about this stuff then you have to go to the root: Supertraining by Mel Siff. All this 5x5 is like one chapter from SuperTraining - and Mel Siff is THE God of programming. Really. The only issue with ST is that it doesn't give you a clear cut road. It lists a WHOLE bunch of options and explains them and how they will wear out i.e. their scope, limitations, how and why they will pay off, etc. For example, it has detailed chapters on Reactive Training Systems - you know who has published a book of that, right? Mike Tuscherer. I have his book. It's good and it's similar to SDT - but Mel had written this stuff waaaaayy back in time.

SuperTraining is like a text book though. It isn't light reading. I can't read too much of it at one time...maybe its just me and my ADHD though :p

To me it appears that SDT can have both a workout to workout periodization as well as 4-5 week or both with the varying workouts and then resetting the volume to base with an increased weight and the rebuilding through the use of single, double or triple progression based on any given workout.

Dude that is TOTALLY correct.

To quote Eric:
Eric said:
Everybody seems to willfully ignore the importance of the base volume and that is the entire purpose and also what makes it self-regulatory. You sort of "peak", "progress", and "deload" at the same time.

Am I understanding this correctly Andalite?

Totally :)

Ghetto,

I am going to sit and write an entire FAQ on SDT for GUS. I think your questions/points are very valid and I am very happy that my brief summary of it for Glad helped you.

I think you'll like the FAQ - it'll keep things simple and I think you like numbers (like me) so I'll have the change to put things number-wise :)

BACK Training - Mesocycle 29 Week 4

Last night's training..

Weighted Pull-ups:
+25 x 9
+25 x 8
+25 x 10
SP - R

Deloaded Rows:
185 x 6
185 x 6
185 x 6
195 x 2
TP

Unilateral Lat Pulldowns:
62.5 x 8
75 x 8
75 x 8

Pinch Grip Dumbbell Deadlifts:
30s x 5
30s x 5
40s x 0 <<-- NOOOO!!!
30s x 8

Video:

Day 1 = Deads + BTN Military + Core
Day 2 = Bench + Pull-ups (weighted if possible)
Day 3 = Off
Day 4 = Squats + Pull-ups (50 reps bodyweight) + DB Incline + Core
Day 5 = BB Rows + DB Military + GHR + DB Swings
Day 6 = Off
Day 7 = Off
Day 8 = Repeat

Ok I made some minor changes but take a look at the above routine, how do you like it?

Also, why am i hitting back 4 days a week? That seems a bit much, and i get pretty sore after deads.

Damn nice write ups!

I am gonna do that. The only problem is strength usually goes down in PCT, but im gonna eat more plus get on creatine, PLUS gonna be on a lot of PCT products, so hopefully i can maintain and even increase my strength in the next 4-8 weeks

Ok I made some minor changes but take a look at the above routine, how do you like it?

Also, why am i hitting back 4 days a week? That seems a bit much, and i get pretty sore after deads.

Routine looks good. Stop thinking body parts and start thinking of movements. Soreness is fine. Fatigue is also distributed if you progress via SDT because it can be regulated. Also, you need more back work. There is never enough back or PC work. Remember this...even for aesthetic gains as well as for your football performance :)

Damn nice write ups!

I am gonna do that. The only problem is strength usually goes down in PCT, but im gonna eat more plus get on creatine, PLUS gonna be on a lot of PCT products, so hopefully i can maintain and even increase my strength in the next 4-8 weeks

Ok coool. Good luck! :)

If you have questions, things you are unsure of, please hit me up. I work 12-14 hours a day plus training and shit so I'm swamped so unless you hit me up I might miss something. Please keep me in the loop.

And good luck! :)

Routine looks good. Stop thinking body parts and start thinking of movements. Soreness is fine. Fatigue is also distributed if you progress via SDT because it can be regulated. Also, you need more back work. There is never enough back or PC work. Remember this...even for aesthetic gains as well as for your football performance :)

Ok coool. Good luck! :)

If you have questions, things you are unsure of, please hit me up. I work 12-14 hours a day plus training and shit so I'm swamped so unless you hit me up I might miss something. Please keep me in the loop.

And good luck! :)

OK i tweaked it again a little, just added weighted dips on day 5, and handstand pushups on day 2

Im gonna max on bench today, try 395, and also gonna try 475 squat. Then on Sunday im starting the routine and gonna find my base volume for everything that week, and then I can progress!

Top Bottom