x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

18 tips for bulletproof knees

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about 18 tips for bulletproof knees within the Weight Training & Weight Lifting category.

Excerpt: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=63D45B49624F33BA112A15CD98B27AEF.hydra?id=1127149 looks like a lot of my theories were correct :)

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

18 tips for bulletproof knees

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...dra?id=1127149

looks like a lot of my theories were correct

Want a good body? Work at it. Want to be a success? Work at it. Want to be truly exceptional? Be a touch insane...You need a little bit of insanity to do great things

Re: 18 tips for bulletproof knees

Quote Quote posted by coolcolj

Awesome, thanks!
    If you don't shut your fucking mouth, I will kill you.

Sport, truth, like art, is in the eye of the beholder. You believe what you choose and I'll believe what I know.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice;
    it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Good read.

BTW check out the pic of the girl under step ten - wow.

Quote Quote posted by Guinness5.0
    Good read.

BTW check out the pic of the girl under step ten - wow.

home sweet home

Heh, I just got around to reading that article earlier today. Good stuff.

I was thinking about starting a new thread with this question, but I'll ask it here instead: what's the verdict on knee sleeves, which are recommended in the Meso Oly Squatting sticky in addition to this article?

I bought some early this year (winter months) when I was getting some pain in my right knee. But after reading a bunch of squatting articles and tweaking my form a bit (trying not to rely on my right leg as much on maximal sets and push my knees out more) I didn't have any more problems with pain, just slight stiffness after an afternoon/evening of sitting around on the days I squat (early morning workouts). After seeing this article, I decided to put the sleeves on just for kicks and loved the warmth and slight increase in stability.

So I guess a more specific version of my question is this: are thin neoprene knee sleeves "acceptable" lifting gear (a la Oly shoes), or are there drawbacks, such as weak natural knee stability or weakness at the bottom of the squat, that make them more comparable to most PL gear, which is frowned upon for general training?

Wow, that was a lot of rambling...

Sergeant @ Arms for the "Be Really RUDE to that SHIIIIT!!!1!" Administration

Quote Quote posted by Cynical Simian
    I bought some early this year (winter months) when I was getting some pain in my right knee. But after reading a bunch of squatting articles and tweaking my form a bit (trying not to rely on my right leg as much on maximal sets and push my knees out more) I didn't have any more problems with pain, just slight stiffness after an afternoon/evening of sitting around on the days I squat (early morning workouts). After seeing this article, I decided to put the sleeves on just for kicks and loved the warmth and slight increase in stability.

Just out of curiosity - do you feel like that counts as cheating?

Same reason I do not wear a belt 98% of the time or use wrist wraps during bench. Not that it does not make the lift safer, but in the back of your mind you are thinking - 'how much is me, how much is the support gear?'.

Quote Quote posted by mekannik
    Just out of curiosity - do you feel like that counts as cheating?

Same reason I do not wear a belt 98% of the time or use wrist wraps during bench. Not that it does not make the lift safer, but in the back of your mind you are thinking - 'how much is me, how much is the support gear?'.
    That "cheating" is exactly my concern and the reason that today was the first time I put them on (while sitting here in front of my computer, not while squatting). Sorry if it wasn't clear that I bought sleeves but didn't end up using them for lifting (due to concern about the "drawbacks" mentioned later in the post).

Quote Quote posted by coolcolj

Thanks for the link.

Quote Quote posted by Cynical Symian
    So I guess a more specific version of my question is this: are thin neoprene knee sleeves "acceptable" lifting gear (a la Oly shoes), or are there drawbacks, such as weak natural knee stability or weakness at the bottom of the squat, that make them more comparable to most PL gear, which is frowned upon for general training?
    The neoprene sleeves don't really help your lift like knee wraps do, they're just to keep your knee warm, correct? It's not like they provide any significant rebound effect (I don't think)

I wear an elbow sleeve for some occasional elbow pain and I don't consider it cheating.
    Last edited by Jim Ouini; 26-Jun-2006 at 11:14 PM.

Sergeant @ Arms for the "Be Really RUDE to that SHIIIIT!!!1!" Administration

Quote Quote posted by Jim Ouini
    I wear an elbow sleeve for some occasional elbow pain and I don't consider it cheating.
    I know you addressed Cynical - but I brought up the cheating term. It was not meant as an attack or criticism. Just a question of whether or not you consider it a 'pure' lift if you are wearing some type of assistance gear.

And the way my knees have been feeling lately - wraps, sleeves, permanent polar ice packs are going to be the flavor of the month.

None taken, I didn't take it as an attack or criticism at all

I will say that sometimes I feel like it can be a mental crutch, which is one of the reasons I don't wear one anymore (the other being my knee doesn't hurt).

The elbow sleeve, though, just never occurred to me to be in the same category for whatever reason.

Now that we're on the subject, how about wrist wraps when benching