Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

140lbs Max Bench Press to 170lbs+ Max? In less than a week?

Canadian Jelly

When I train at home, I remember barely being able to bench 140lbs.

I recently started highschool and phys ed just began letting us into the weight room. Using the weight at school I managed to bench 170lbs.

At home, I have a thinner, lighter bar which cant be too heavy, while at school we have a 45lb bar. At home I don't count the bar when lifting and I can only get 140, at school I count the 45lb bar and get 170...

Anyone have any idea on what's wrong?

Why is there anything wrong? Do you want your max to go back down?

This is great news. . .obviously you became stronger.

The key is to workout consistently and constantly make progress. The worst thing you can do is max out every week. Here is a routine that you can follow:

Bench Press - Week 1
1 x 8 - 45lbs (warm up olympic bar)
1 x 8 - 95lbs (warm up)
1 x 8 - 115lbs
1 x 8 - 125lbs
1 x 8 - 135lbs

Bench Press - Week 2

1 x 8 - 95lbs (warm up)
1 x 8 - 120lbs
1 x 8 - 130lbs
1 x 8 - 140lbs

Bench Press - Week 3

1 x 8 - 95lbs (warm up)
1 x 8 - 125lbs
1 x 8 - 135lbs
1 x 8 - 145lbs

Bench Press - Week 4

1 x 8 - 95lbs (warm up)
1 x 8 - 130lbs
1 x 8 - 140lbs
1 x 8 - 150lbs

You see the pattern here? This program involves progressive resistance. Let your muscles grow and become stronger. Maxing out every week will result in CNS burnout and your gains will plateau.

For assistance work. . . add a couple of sets of Incline Dumbbell Presses.

Be sure to keep a log on the weights you are using so you know when to increase the weight.

What do you mean "what's wrong"? Your bar at home has to contribute some weight, so that accounts for part of the difference. Other than that, I guess you have just gotten stronger. Congratulations.

Exactly. The bar at home has weight, so 30 pounds isn't accurate. Still, you're going up. Good news. :)

lol, yeah.. But the bar I have at home is barely 10lbs can't make up the 40 pound difference between doing it at home and doing it at school..

lol, i'll just drop this since I don't seem to be making any sense. :eek:

Top Bottom