Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

100 extra wide chinups once a week

i don't see a point in doing them extra wide grip, but then again, i was in the Marine Corps for 4 years and we did them shoulder width or just slightly wider than that. didn't matter what grip we used (overhand or underhand).

i think if you narrow your grip to shoulder width you'll get much more out of it. longer range of motion so you'll work your muscles more. IMO, extra wide grip is "cheating," just like when you do bench press with a grip so wide that the bar only moves 6" and you've done the full movement.

ive never heard the term cheating related to an extra wide grip chin. wide grips are really hard to do and really stretch out the lats. i can only do about 5 per set on extra wide chins as apposed to 8-10 per set for regular chins

it may very well not be cheating, but considering how i was taught to do them, i personally consider a wide grip cheating. (IMO stands for In My Opinion, and that's all it was, just my opinion).

are you doing pure deadhangs? no kicking of the feet, jerking of the body, swinging of the body, arms full extended at the bottom and held for a quick pause, and chin breaking the plain of the bar on every rep?

muscledog95 said:
weighted chins are the key my man

once i start hitting 2x10 on pullups, i'm going to add weight. pullups are #4 in my 5x5 routine, so i'm only managing 2x8 right now. my dips, however, are going to start getting weighted this week :)

yes puredead hangs after each rep. i started cheating a little around my 15th set(swinging my body n such). i hope to get all 20 sets with picture perfect form.

"PrinceCharming" said:
in sets of 5, extra wide. is that too much?

Instead of a back workout? No, you cant really equate 100 chins to 5x5 bentover rows.

as a warm-up on back day? Yes, too much volume.

i often query why people use exaggerated wide grips when performing pull-ups......all that does is reduce your range of motion and places more emphasis on your forearms, shoulders, traps etc rather than your back/lats.

Top Bottom