Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

1 question!!! PLEASE HELP!

RGS83

2 Threads to answer 1 question!!
-I'm 5'11, 155lbs, 21yrs old, been working out for about 1.5yrs, but haven't found a good prog I like until I started with this one; giving it a try.
-I WORKOUT AT HOME, NO SPOTTER (free weights, some bars, bench, ect)
-I hurt my right forearm, or Ulna, a while back, so I don't like using bars (straight or EZ) to preach or curl... I will preach or curl with dumbbells.
-I'm doing a 4/1 split. (chest/shoulders/biceps/tris/off)
-I want to get my legs and back into the mix - I'll goto the gym 1 day per cycle if i must and do a legs/back workout.
-A workout should take between 45-1h, yet each muscle group listed on my routine takes that long...
Yet it's been recommened that I double up some days (ex. chest/bis)... at my routine that would take about 2 hours... and if i give a day to legs and one to back, i'm looking at a 6/1 split.

I think a 6/1 split is too much down time between a workout per muscle group.

"WHAT EXERCISES, SPECIFICALLY, WITHIN THAT CRITERA, CAN I DO TO MAXIMIZE GAINS?"
How can I organize my routine so that I can efficently workout each group (as if i was doing my 1 hour per group routine), yet do more than one group??

FYI - This is what I'm doing now:
-Day1 Chest
DB press
Incline DB press
Flies

-Day 2 Shoulders
Shoulder Press
Upright row
Front Raise (told to get rid of as they're worked with chest)
Side Raise

- Day 3 Biceps
DB curl
Concentration Curl
Preacher Curl (tried with EZ bar, hurts too much, so i use DB's)

- Day 4 Triceps
Skull Crushers with Triceps bar
One Arm Extensions
Kickbacks (I can't seem to get any weight over 10lbs and straighten my arm!?)

-Day 5 Off -- but i usually run or something (although I may just delete day 5 and start with day 1 again.)

reps/sets look like warmup(little to no weight)/10/8/6/6/6-5-4 (depending it'll be another 6, or a 5 or push hard 4). If i'm trying to do a 6 and I added too much weight and can only push out 4, then I usually do one more set of the original weight to push out 6.

My idea to fit in two body parts a day would be this.

Limit yourself to three working sets per exercise. That way you should have no trouble doing your routine in 45-75 minutes.

As for your exercises, I think that you have most of it covered. If you want to hit your chest real hard you can still do that by itself, on it's on day. My latest routine looked like this.

1- chest
2- back
3- tris and bis
4- shoulders and traps
5- legs

Since you are looking to combine back and legs you can chop it down to a four day routine. As for time I am in and out of the gym inside of 75 minutes, and that is doing four working sets on some of my chest and back exercises. The only day that it would be longer would be the day that you combine back and legs, and maybe some of the other guys can help you with that, as I have never combined them before.

Soooooo.............

"WHAT EXERCISES, SPECIFICALLY, WITHIN THAT CRITERA, CAN I DO TO MAXIMIZE GAINS?"
How can I organize my routine so that I can efficently workout each group (as if i was doing my 1 hour per group routine), yet do more than one group??

name them please, cuz i'm at a loss and getting lots of mixed info.

What days in my cycle I should do what exercise? (not do tricep exercises, but specifically, which exercise...EX: skull crushers - 4 sets, reps of 10, 8, 6, 6,)

What I need to know is what exercises *SPECIFICALLY* (don't say shit like big daddy lifts in gerneral),
How many sets and reps for that exercise.
In what order (of days of my cycle, and in what order todo the exercise)

I'm in limbo until i get these questions answered, and my biggest pet peeve is working out, or working hard and having it be a waste or not maximum gain because of what when or how i'm doing something!

Thanks guys.
Ryan

I said that I liked what you had down for each workout considering that you are going to use db's. Since you were already doing low reps toward the end of your workout I adjusted to four sets on the heavy liftsinstead of three sets.

I would do these.

1) chest

incline press- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps
flat bench- 4 @ 6-8
incline flies- 3 @ 10-12

2) tris and bis

close grip presses (if you can do them) 4 @ 6-8
skullcrushers 4 @ 6-8
db extensions- 3 @ 8-10

hammer curls 4 @ 6-8
preacher curls 4 @ 6-8
concentration curls 4 @ 6-8

3) shoulders and traps

db presses 4 @ 6-8
lateral raises 3 @ 10-12
bent over raises 3 @ 10-12

db shrugs 3 @ 12-15
bb shrugs 3 @ 12-15

4) back and legs

deads or bb rows 3 @ 8-10
db rows 4 @ 6-8
close grip pulldown 3 @ 10-12

squats 3 @ 10-12
hack squats 3 @ 8-10
leg curls 3 @ 12-15

You can switch out SLDL's with your regular deadlifts every other workout if you like. Like I said, I don't know how long the back and leg workout will take, but the others shouldn't be over an hour.

Don't forget to eat and get your rest also if you want to grow.

I hope this helps.

AWESOME!
Thank you! I really apperciate the time you spent to lay it out on the line.

I'm actually getting ready to work my Bicepts today, and that will be a great help!! I'm going to give the Tri/Bicept together workout a try today instead of just Bicepts... then at the start of my next cycle I'll begin to train as posted below.

Just a few quick followup question:

1) So I am safe in assuming that I can quite efficently workout X muscle group with as few as 3 exercises, and of that only doing 4 sets on 6-8 reps?
...I ask simply becuase I don't know to what point it becomes redundant or even counterproductive to keep doing the same exercise.

2) "You can switch out SLDL's with your regular deadlifts every other workout if you like" - I'm sorry; I'm not too sure what that means?? :confused:

Thanks again.
Ryan

RGS83 said:
AWESOME!
Thank you! I really apperciate the time you spent to lay it out on the line.

I'm actually getting ready to work my Bicepts today, and that will be a great help!! I'm going to give the Tri/Bicept together workout a try today instead of just Bicepts... then at the start of my next cycle I'll begin to train as posted below.

Just a few quick followup question:

1) So I am safe in assuming that I can quite efficently workout X muscle group with as few as 3 exercises, and of that only doing 4 sets on 6-8 reps?
...I ask simply becuase I don't know to what point it becomes redundant or even counterproductive to keep doing the same exercise.

2) "You can switch out SLDL's with your regular deadlifts every other workout if you like" - I'm sorry; I'm not too sure what that means?? :confused:

Thanks again.
Ryan

1) The answer to the first question is yes that is enough, especially for the smaller muscles like biceps. If you had more time I would add in another for chest, back, and legs, but since you have a time limit I left it at three.

2) I meant that you could do regular deadlifts during one back workout, and the next week do stiff leg deadlifts for hamstrings in their place. On the workouts that you do SLDL's I would do bb rows for the back.

I hope that helps. :)

Awesome.
thank you!

So I know, what exercies would you have added to those prebiously listed for legs/back and chest... I'd like to make the most of it, so i'll give it a shot.

I like the way you've laid it out!

What other exercises would you recommend i do for my legs/back, and chest if time permits... it's not everyday that i'm on a tight time limit.

So on the days that i get some time, what others do you suggerst to fit my program, at what reps/sets.

Thank you!
Ryan

You can always add in decline presses for your chest @ 4 x6-8, or even add dips for 3x10.

For back/leg day, I'm not sure because like I said I have never trained them on the same day. Maybe do pull-ups 3x10, or T-bar rows 3x10, and you can do lunges or hack squats 3x10 for legs. Also don't forget to do calf work. I just do calf raises and standing calf presses for 3x12-15.

Last edited:
Top Bottom