Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

(PLing) squat stance not same as dead stance?

J

jeremys

after establishing that a wider (sumo) stance is better in the long run for squatting competitively, why do many of the top squatters (who go sumo) use a conventional (narrow) stance for deadlifting?

i'm thinking that it only makes sense to deadlift using the muscles in the stance that you train with and rely upon for your squat

Jeremy,

I am not a powerlifter, but I remember Spatts saying that a wide stance is best for her because it limits the range of motion. If I were you I would choose the stance that allows you to shift the most weight. I have a buddy who is a powerlifter that weighs 218 and is pulling 660. . .he used a sumo stance. Funny thing is. . he never trains for the deadlift.

Experiment bro. . experiment.

I use a wide stance for squats and deads, but if I had short little arms, I'd probably pull conventional rather than sumo. Like LS said, it's all about the shortest ROM.

Also, I would think for the guys that are hitting some really huge numbers, using the hips to squat wide might make them dog tired by the time deads roll around, so maybe they pull conventional because they're backs aren't as tired in comparison....I dunno. :)

Top Bottom