Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

!!!!!!

coolcolj

I tried twice to lockout my 455lb deadlift attempts - and I failed!

Combo of poor technique, bad warmup poundages and wrong mental approach meant I didn't get it done :(
I'm not unhappy, I can damn close, but no bacon.

In my first attempt I did ok going up excetp I stiff legged it again and my upper back was curved as hell, all I had to do was lockout, but for some reason the weight swung forward, not sure why I went off balance, and couldn't salvage it.

after 6 mins rest i tried to do it again, this time it felt harder, Again all I had to do was lockout, but I had no gas left once I reached the top. Lack of oxygen too! I saw stars :)

Oh well - I won't be maxing out for a long time now. My body isn't built for deadifting and combined with more poor form, getting inured is only a matter on time.

My warmup was less than ideal it went like this

Powercleans 135 2x2
Deadlifts 185x1, 225x1, 315x1, 365x1
in hindsight I should have done 405x1, 90lbs is big jump and my CNS was alarmed at the heavy feel of 455.

Surprsingly my grip was more than sufficient with chalk.

video - 4.2megs, Please right click on link and save before viewing thanks!

I turned around for the second attempt, just so the mirror wouldn't stuff my concentration, but you get to see my ugly mug :p

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/coolcolj2/Movies/CCJ_455lb_DeadliftAttempts.mpg

Last edited:
CCJ> Sounds like you know where your problems lie. Lower the weight for a while and work on correcting your known weaknesses.

Joker

The camera is just sitting on some benches, I turn it on before I lift

Joker - well I don't know if I'll ever do a powerlifter style deadlift anymore. Its just not a productive exercise for me, it interferes with my oly lifts as well. I have to choose between squats and deadlifts, I prefer squats.

Last edited:
I hear ya bro, I need to sneak up on my 1RM. 365, 405, 425 then 455.. Seems like allot of lifting but that's the only way *I* can do it... If I fail a big pull sometimes I can back up and make a successful 2nd run. It's as if my body needs to learn how to pick that new weight up.. wierd but I think you touched on it with the CNS point. Good work anyways.

I'm with spectre, I have to sneak up on the heavy stuff by adding small increments during my warmup so that it never really feels that heavy.
It will come, just be patient and stick with your regular training, I dont put any thought into 1 rep maxes and rarely ever do them, and as a result it seems like they go up easier

First of all...heck of a try. Heck of a try!!!

Next time....try it barefoot. You were leaning fwd when you failed and could not sit back far enough to lock the weight out...not wearing shoes or wearing Chucks could really help you sit back.

You could try doing deadlifts with bands too...anchor them under your feet and you will have to pull hard, fast, and intense to get the bar to lockout at the top. Doing reverse band deads might help this too...

I know that deads don't directly help you with a lot in your training with the OL lifts. Maybe this well help.

B True

nice try man..... i agree with you that your mind set wasnt right. iv see some of your other vids and you look alot more pumped up befor oyu lift in those vids then you did in this one. you got the strength to hit that weight.
soon time you will get that weight up!

CCJ,

Sounds like your hips are coming up to quick on the lift. Easily fixed, simply do some deads off of a box. This will reteach your body the proper timing, for pulling your hips through. Your strength sems like it is there, it's just a small technique flaw thats holding you back. Good luck, you'll pull that bitch next time.

Top Bottom